mabelfoxdesign

Going contemporary with the Kitchen in a 1930s House

Mabel Fox Design
3 years ago

The debate with myself about which is my favourite kitchen style is an on going saga. I love both traditional Shaker and contemporary handle-less numbers just as much.

In my old house, I had a beautiful handmade, bespoke, painted kitchen, Shaker with tongue and groove panelling. (see photos below)

It was an absolute beauty and I was sad to leave it. But, fast forward to us buying an absolute wreck of a house a few years later (as we had outgrown the old house and could not extend any more than we had already) which needed absolutely everything doing to it; rewiring, re-plumbing, new heating system, new water main, new windows and roof, underpinning, and of course kitchen and bathroom replacing and the whole bloomin' lot decorating (see pics of the kitchen when we bought it below)

As you can see, we had quite a job on our hands, and as with many a large scale renovation project, there were many unforeseen spends, on things like the afore mentioned under pinning and roof etc, so the kitchen budget shrank and shrank until I had to kiss goodbye to the idea of a handmade painted kitchen of dreams and say hello to the wonders of the budget friendly kitchen company DIY Kitchens, which I have to say, have come up trumps!

Obviously I kept the dreamy bright yellow range oven and matching stainless steel hood by Mercury but this time, I embraced the contemporary look of the handle-less cabinetry style. Our new house is 1930s built but I think I have got away with the more contemporary style by bringing in a patterned tile floor and sympathetic colours to the era of the house.

What do you think? I think it shows that with the right layout and kitchen design knowledge, you can create something beautiful what ever your budget is.

NEED HELP WITH YOUR KITCHEN DESIGN? - GET IN TOUCH WITH MABEL FOX DESIGN

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.