isobel_spandler

Foxy Foxgloves

The foxgloves in my garden are looking fabulous. After a few years I have now got Digitalis self-seeding freely from an original Digitalis purpurea x albflora, although it has reverted to its original wild colour form in places, but I quite like that.

It is a beautiful cottage garden plant, bees and butterflies swarm around them and they can be cut for the vase as well. If you pick the king flower – the main spire, you create lots of prince flowers and the plants will then go on flowering for longer.

They are easy to sow from seed to flower for next year (May to July is ideal) – if you sow two years in a row you should guarantee that you have flowers every year from this hardy biennial. I have stuck to the white form this year and sown these tiny seeds directly onto the compost surface without covering them. They are now in the cold frame and once large enough I will pot-up and harden off before planting outside in the autumn.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.