webuser_944643625

How can I add privacy to my corner garden on busy road? Ideas needed!

Beth
3 years ago

Hi there,

I'm in need of some advice! My husband and I love where we live but we don't spend any time in our garden due to a complete lack of privacy. We live in a corner downstairs apartment on a busy coastal road.

Problem

Unfortunately, our garden can be viewed in its entirety from all 4 sides - the 4th side being our upstairs neighbour's balcony which directly overlooks our garden (we don't mind this one so much).

The main area we want to improve is the corner side next to the side road that leads into our estate (see photos below). The current fence is very low and our energetic dog has jumped over it onto the main road before so we can't let him off his lead in the garden.

Due to our location on the corner, we know it won't be possible to get it to a stage where nobody can see in at all, but we'd love to have even just one single area of the garden that isn't on full display to anyone who passes by, especially in the summer months when the footpaths around our house become very busy with walkers.

1. Is this a lost cause?

I need some help to work out if this is a lost cause or if, by being a bit creative and investing time and money, we could make it so we have a place to sit outside without being seen. Unfortunately, it's the one thing that makes us question whether we should just move house to find somewhere with a private outside space. One of the main issues is that, due to our location on the corner, we can't just build a huge fence or wall as we need to make sure it's in keeping with the other houses around us.

2. How else could we add height?

We plan to replace the green fence but we're just not sure how solely replacing the fence could make much of a difference to the privacy in the long run. What alternatives/additions to fencing could we add here to create more privacy?

3. Are there any particular types of trees, plants or shrubs that could help?

I'm not very knowledgeable about this side of things so it would be great to hear suggestions about what we could plant along this side (these would probably need to be potted due to the stones at present).

I'm open to any and all ideas and suggestions because truthfully I don't have a clue where to start! Thanks!

Side Road

Corner Gate

View from the corner of the fence

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.