wallsinead

London 1st floor flat - large(r) kitchen - floor plan/ design advise

S Wall
3 years ago

I would LOVE a large(r) eat in kitchen. Our current kitchen is lovely but only has a wall bar/ stools and not ideal for a young growing family - bought pre babies. Our dining table is in the sitting room at the front of the property. We have an ok budget and my husband is very handy but we can’t decide what to do. We will continue to live in this flat for minimum 5 more years. So not forever. We paid top £ for it 4.5 years ago (pre Brexit, pandemic) so are anxious to control spend and we do not want to reduce its appeal. The options I am proposing I believe will be the most cost effective - not require major services changes. We are share of freeholders for building reg purpose and have a great relationship with downstairs. Thanks!!

Idea 1: Swap the bedroom at the end of the property with the kitchen. The kitchen would be bigger but the once double bedroom would be smaller. We would likely partition the dining space in the sitting room to create a small playroom/ office/ single bedroom. This would become the 4th bedroom.
Concern: still a small kitchen but a table would be possible in front of the double windows and look on gardens. We loose a lot of space due the internal staircase to garden. Is this a opportunity to remove walls around this staircase and create trap door?

Idea 2: combine the kitchen with the bathroom to create a large open plan kitchen. Move the bathroom into the adjoining bedroom. Partition the dining area of sitting room to recreate 3rd bedroom.
Concern: whilst the kitchen and bathroom would be fab, the 3rd bedroom would be smaller than the current 3rd and also the front of the house is on a relatively busy through road.

Comments (12)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.