shilakadaddy

Kitchen/diner extension - how to make it cheaper?

Chris
3 years ago

Hi All

I'm trying to get some idea of the budget required for a kitchen / diner extension in Kent. I had builders quote me before lock-down for much less work than what I'm now planning, but before any builders would provide a quote, I had to get a surveyor in to draw up plans. I'm now trying to see what might be possible with a larger budget, but I don't want to start spending money on designs for something that ultimately I can't afford.

This is the current layout of the kitchen and dining room (kitchen on the right, dining room on the left):

The back of the kitchen (the bit that sticks out beyond the back of the house) was originally a separate pantry, so a wall has been removed with an RSJ fitted there.

Ultimately, I'd love to do something like this:

> Single story extension of 3m from the back of the dining room across the full width of the house

> Knock out the load-bearing wall between the two rooms

> Convert the existing internal doors into a double door

> Build a small utility room

> Lots of glass at the back, although not fussed about bi-folds.

What could I drop from the above that would make this as cheap as possible?

Realistically, I think my budget would be £50k (+20% contingency fund) for the building work, plumbing, electrics and plastering. I intend to purchase and install the kitchen units and flooring myself. I'm pretty sure the above can't be achieved for that kind of money, but what do you think I could do?

Cheers

Chris

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.