lucygoodman

Tadelakt or other polished plaster or even concrete in bathroom?

Lucy Goodman
3 years ago

Aghhhh! Please help someone! After ages of not being able to pick a single tile for the hopefully soon to be gorgeous loft bathroom inc shower, I realised why. They just feel too cold, too hard, too sterile for my hopefully zen feeling soft bathroom. Then I saw an Abigail Ahern Instagram post about Tadelakt in her bathroom and shower (although hers is dark grey) and started googling madly.

I got a few quotes in and painted god knows how many samples of pinks to find my perfect dusty soft not too emasculating shade to match Tadelakt to and ended up with Farrow & Ball Middleton pink. Add in Lusso stone brass shower, taps and a Lusso stone bath (which one is another dilema but not for now!), found some simple white hexagonal tiles to go on the floor and up one of the shower walls, I thought I was nearly there. Only, one of the companies quoting warned yesterday about maintenance and I've just been reading up on it. Sounds a bit hellish. Has anyone here in Houzz land got a Tadelakt bathroom in a wet area? I'd love to hear what the maintenance is like? I've so far read about waxing every month (the walls not my legs that is!), wiping down surfaces after every shower so no trace of shower gel remains, and the dangers of other cleaning products (like how am I going to ensure the Cif going onto the tiles doesn't go near the walls?) I'm beginning to freak!

We bit the financially punishing bullet on a Dinesen floor on various floors in dry areas of bathroom - I posted my anxt over whether to go for this or not last year - and so are already on a fairly punishing weekly floor wash thing and we haven't moved in yet! So the idea of adding another maintenance palava once we do, feels hellish. However , I've become rather attached to this look - it is gorgeous!

My plan was to put pale dusty pink tadelakt on two walls (see picture) but white hexagonal tiles on the floor and up one wall to meet the skylight almost echoing the shape of the skylight. Then tiles around basin area on the other side. I so don't want to go back to the cold feel of tiles on the wall and loved the idea as everything else is white of having this bit of soft texture going on. But what else would I do? Is a different kind of polished plaster any different maintenance wise? Is that a better option? I've stuck photos below of the bath, shower area as it is and the tiles (probably bigger hexagon) along with a picture of a simliar pink. I don't want to end up all French Provence or Turkish Hammam - more simple, soft and clean lines with a bit of glamour. Does that make sense? Would love advice.

This is the kind of look only with tiled floor and one wall.

Vering towards bigger hexagonal tiles (though do weigh in!).

Tadelakt on on the walls outlined in red. Shower head goes at end.

White hexagonal tiles in the green shaded area.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.