webuser_808373484

Where to start ? Extending 60s Semi Detached. Help Please!!

Toby B
3 years ago

Hi all,

We are looking into extending our 1960s semi detached house. It's a fairly standard build, but we are struggling for inspiration and finding it hard to work out what is viable for us financially before getting more serious about it. We have up to £130k to work with (including finishes such as kitchens, bedrooms and bathrooms) if needed. We've never done this before so are pretty clueless!

Our main goals are:

1. Must - our main living room moved to the rear, facing on to the back garden.

2. Must - We also want a much bigger kitchen and dining area. We are a bit traditional, and are not big fans of the huge open plan spaces which seem to be all the rage these days. We would prefer the flexibility of being able to close the kitchen and dining areas off from the living room when required (so you don't see all the mess and washing up for example!).

3. Must - refurbish the upstairs bathroom and main bedroom.

4. Should - Have a bigger porch/hallway for storage.

5. Should - Create a space for a home office (convert garage?)

6. Should - Maintain storage for lawn mowers, ladders, etc that are currently stored in the garage

7. Could - Build over the garage and extend the tiny third bedroom to make it usable as a guest room.

Our main problem is we don't really know what is possible within our budget to help us refine our thinking and prioritise the must haves against the nice to haves. We also have no idea about what is possible for moving walls and changing layouts, etc.

Here is the "As Is" Ground Floor Plan:

Here is the Front of the house:

Here is the Rear of the house:

Here is the garden:

Here is my initial idea for a revised ground floor plan. What do you think? We like the idea of "broken plan" to give us flexibility:

So.....what are your thoughts or ideas for things that we should look into? Any of your ideas or pointers are welcome. Should we change the layout? Convert the garage? move the stairs? Extend on the garage? aaaargh!! There's a lot of possibilities. Where to start first?

Finally, what are your tips for software we can use to bring our ideas to life before we start paying the professionals to do it?

Thanks so much for any responses!

Comments (6)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.