sinead_archer

Advice on 1960s garage conversion

Shinny
3 years ago

Hello Houzz experts!

We have bought a 1960s terrace. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but we love the house, especially as it's a first-time buy.

However, we have two dilemmas - the front exterior needs some design ideas please to give a little more curb appeal. I'm reluctant to remove the tile cladding, as they are original and consistent all the way down our street and I think with a proper clean, they will improve a lot. I'm debating dark framed windows perhaps, but not sure if they will look odd in the middle of a terrace of white framed windows.

We are also looking into converting the garage in front into a home office - unconnected to the main house and with its own entrance. We are putting in a skylight and we can get rid of the garage door, but I'm struggling to visualise an alternative frontage that looks both contemporary and aligned to the rest of the house. I've thought about a midcentury-inspired door with a full length, narrow, opaque window to one side, but think it then may look too much like the front door. Any ideas welcome, and thank you in advance :-)

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.