scotto87

Help with floor plan / extension etc

scotto87

hello there,

My partner and I are currently in the process of purchasing this 1930s 3 bed semi-detached house.

It is a corner plot, with the front garden extending right out to the left, down the side and across the back. you could build another house behind it it is that big.

We have these basic gloor plans at the moment.

We were wanting to add an extension to the back (maybe go out another metre and then across the back. open up the dining room and have a big open plan space with nice bi-fold doors into the back.

We were thinking of creating a utility room along with having a nice big kitchen, dining area and seating area in the open plan space.

Upstairs the front small bedroom will become an office space. And we would like to knock the partition wall down to the separate toilet and make it one bathroom. in an ideal world my partner wants a walk in wardrobe type room. Which can't really happen as we will need the bedrooms. so I was thinking of a smaller in room partitioned walk in wardrobe. But I guess we can't really look at that without getting into the property and working on size / space.

I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas given our current floor plan and what we would like to do? we have created a bunch of ideas but nothing is really set in stone and we are new to this.

i-architect

The door thing is interesting. At least I think so! Maybe you would like to know why doors are hung the way they are?

Traditionally in the UK doors are hung so they open with the leaf going into the room. This does two things.

Firstly it makes the room a bit more private. So if you're doing something in the room and someone else comes in then they don't see immediately what you're up to, but you have a bit of notice that they are coming in before they see you. This means you can quickly hide anything that you don't want to be revealed to the other person. This is more of a thing if you have staff and then you want to maintain some level of privacy from them.

Secondly it helps with draughts. Older houses are especially leaky and you can feel the movement of air. That air movement has a kind of internal wind chill factor. When you have the doors opening into the room then it slows down the flow of air, because it has to go around the door instead of straight in, so you can reduce that air movement a bit.

In warmer countries, like Spain, where they want to keep doors open and out of the way so they can maximise air movement to cool the space down, then traditionally they have the doors opening against the wall. This way they can keep them held open more easily and have more air flow.

In more modern or upgraded homes the draughts are not so much of an issue, and most of us don't have house staff that we want to keep things private from. So it can make sense to have the doors rehung.

It's worth knowing the reasons behind the way they're hung, so you can be more selective. Perhaps in some rooms you would like to maintain that privacy, perhaps in a bathroom, and then you could hang the door in a way that works best. It's a lot easier to get furniture in and out when you hang the door to open against the wall.

Hope that's interesting for you!!

Featured Answer

It all depends on budget. Consider what you want to do such as new carpets NF then work out what money is left for extensions. Unless you have a spare £30k it’s not really worth considering extending

Help planning open plan kitchen/living extension on 1930's house.

I’m glad you like the idea for the dining table! If I’m being completely honest I don’t really know whether the new layout ideas really give you any more useable space. Do you need a desk in the room? If so it might be worth having the bit of extra space but it could be worth making the garage storage space into a study space as well rather than having the desk intrude on your living space too much. What do you think? If you kept the bigger storage room then you could maybe do something like the picture attached so having a multi purpose room?

Help please ...3 Bed-Semi Extension

Hi Louise, It's always a good idea to go full width, but people often go only half as this is the only way the extension can qualify as an approved development. F.ex if you have a smaller garden, your new extension can't steal too much of that space without a full planning permission. The other obvious reason is of course the cost. If you have enough garden space, a 3m extension would fall under permitted development, so as long as you convince the planners on this, you'll have one worry less. Of course it's a good idea to keep your neighbours in the loop, they often appreciate it. Don't hesitate to get in touch with us - we are happy to offer a free professional consultation on how to get the most out of your project. Best, Cristina

Open plan layout/extension help

I think to make the most of your budget but add to your space is to look at a garage conversion. This would be around £20k+ depending on the spec of kitchen you choose so you'd have spare money to splash out on other renovations. I think the simplest layout would be similar to your sketch. Put the utility by the garage door, then I like your long kitchen idea with perhaps doors into the garden with then lots of space for a dining area, perhaps island or pantry unit. I often help with these sort of layout projects if you need any more help. We can bounce some ideas around and work out the best plan for you and your family 😊 Good luck

Victorian converted flat - ground floor extension - layout ideas!

Morning, Extending the kitchen (and lounge) area out into the garden is a great way to make room for that extra bedroom. We have worked on many similar projects in the past. We are a London based kitchen company with a great eye for deign and making the most of all kitchen spaces. If you would like advice or to discuss further please do get in touch. It would be great to hear some of your requirements needed to be incorporated into the kitchen design to include appliances etc. would also be helpful to get a feel for the style and colours you are interested in. Please feel free to get in touch with us via houzz or by email lj@pad.london Libra
  • scotto87

We have budget 👍🏼

• Daza

layout reminds me a bit of 'love it or list it' s5/e2 (Tyneside) where they moved the kitchen to the dining room. could you add a second floor above kitchen?

• scotto87

It's an option, we were thinking about just doing a single storey extension though. I'm just looking for ideas and inspiration right now.

• scotto87

Just had a quick view of that episode. I see what you mean. We do have a lot more space to play with though. Our garden goes back around 15m and goes out to the side about another 10m right the way down the side of the house.

Covey Kitchens

It might be worth living in the house a while to see how you use the space and how it could be improved. I'm a big fan of only extending if you actually need the space as it's a messy and expensive process.
    If you want to fit a utility, how about you turn the existing kitchen into the utility and partition that off, then put the new kitchen in the diner area and knock into the dining room to make that open plan?

If you want any help with visualisations or bouncing some ideas around together, feel free to get in touch for a free phonecall.

Emily x

• scotto87

Heu Emily,

Yeah I understand that, and we will do with the rest of the house. However we don't want to spend any money putting in a new kitchen when we know we want to extend already and then put a kitchen in etc.

If there is room to extend consider extending sideways. Not only does this make the house look bigger from the front but it open up options for later extension which you may want to do later or may add value when you come to sell.

• luna1900

Hi, as others said before, depends on the budget. Is your bedroom at the front or back? If front, would you consider turning the small room into a small en-suite/walking wardrobe? You could have an office area downstairs in your new big open plan area. you Can integrate one within the kitchen units you would never know it is there when closed. I like your idea for downstairs, extend a bit and square the room to create kitchen/dinning/family room.

• Ellie

Definitely live in it and see how the space works . You may need planning permission/building warrant anyway, and unlikely you can do that til you are in.

We moved in, and it was almost 3 yrs later til we renovated.

It looks like your kitchen and dining room space is enough space knocked together. That's what we done, we didn't need any extra space, it just needed to be used better.

Also, I know you mentioned extending to make it level at back, I think it adds interest if it's not all just a big square, like the common extension blank box that gets stuck on so often then other rooms in the house are unused!

Good luck.

• Ivana Curcic

As mentioned earlier, it is important to get a good sense of the space, light, flow of air... Once you have figured out the space and its surroundings, consult a professional architect. The best results are such collaborations. In this kind of major reconstruction/remodelling, there are many factors to consider, such as your habits in addition to your aspirations.

• megganmcc

Another thing to consider if you extend to the rear is it can make the 'middle' room quite dark... To the side a great option if you've got a lot of space there or even diagonal extension can work well - have you seen any of 'my home made perfect' on BBC iplayer?!

• scotto87

Thank you everyone for your comments. I’ve attached a rough floor plan of how I see the extension for now. The beige line around the outside is currently the garden so you can see the space we do have. Although we would like to keep as much of the garden space as possible.

A walk in wardrobe was what my partner wanted the front small bedroom as before I claimed it as an office so if we could place that downstairs that would be good. Then attached image doesn’t include any of our ideas other than extending out across the back and knocked through to make it a open plan space. Ideally I’d like to create a utility room within this area. But office space sounds good too.

Do you have an example of what you mean @luna1900?

• scotto87

See below, the plan would be to work with architect of course, but I thought I thought I would post here to get other people’s thoughts on it too. We do plan on doing some form of extension but yes, it probably won’t be until we’ve lived in the space for a little while. The kitchen as it stands is OK but I don’t see the point in paying for a new one when we are going to remodel the whole area at some point.

• scotto87

@meganmcc I haven’t seen those no, I’ll take a look, thank you :)

Mary Leslie Interior Design

You need an architect with vision. An extension does not have to be expensive, but it does have to be engaging. Where are you? We like MW Architects in London

• scotto87

North east :)

• luna1900

Hi, I don't have any photos to send you. It is just that when you said your partner was hoping for a walk in wardrove I thought you could combine that with a small ensuite. The way I see it, I would block the the door into the small bedroom and create an opening from your bedroom. I would use the internal wall (where the door currently is) for floor to ceiling storage (rails/shelves/drawers... ) and build a partition wall with a pocket door into ensuite bathroom which would benefit from having the window.

The pocket door could be frosted glass to let some natural light into the wardrove and you could also do the same with the door from your bedroom into the walking wardrove area.

We did something similar where to go into our ensuite we walk through the walking wardrove. I was worried about steam damaging the clothes but we have a very good fan in the ensuite (as well as a window) so 4 years on, that's still not an issue.

I agree with the others when they say you should live in the house for a bit before you get the builders in and a good architect would be a very good investment but I also agree with you that you can have a bit of fun doing your own planning :-)

• luna1900

Me again... re-reading your message I think you were asking me about creating an office area in the kitchen and not the ensuite/walking wardrove... apologies.

I saw this a few weeks ago (it could be a couple of months back....) in Your Home Made Perfect. I can't tell you if it was episode 1 , 2 or 3 but if you haven't seen them, I recommend them. They had full size kitchen doors (think integrated fridge freezer or pantry kind of doors) that you open and slide in so they are out of the way. Inside you have a chair, a desk area (not very deep but more than enough for a laptop, notepad etc,) shelving, drawers etc.

I remember seeing it and thinking it was a great idea.

• HU-509216188

Please excuse the dodgy sketch from my phone, clearly needs refined 😆 my suggestions as follows: the old dining room doesn't have much light, so perfect place to put the laundry/bathroom/storage room (whatever you would find useful). i take it the extension is just the ground floor. then add the kitchen in the rest of the corner dining area (configuration to your liking) this will still leave room enough to having dining area, living area and an computer nook. this will then leave the office upstairs free to be used as a dressing room/ wardrobe. oh and I'd be sure to include windows/sliding doors/patio doors on the new extension to let the light in and enable you to bring the outside in.

• HU-509216188

*former dining area

i-architect

Hi Scott!

I've got a project on site at the moment that had a very similar floor plan as your 1930's semi! I'ts a lovely project and really exciting to see the build coming together - I'll hopefully be able to post photos of it soon. They didn't have anywhere near as much site to play with as you do though.

I offer an online Home Design Workshop that includes a guided process with workbooks that I call Design Your Vision, which includes a clarity call with me, before we hop on a zoom call together for a collaborative design session. It's a really quick way for you to figure out what you really want (and it's especially helpful for couples who have slightly different ideas about what you want - helps get you on the same page), and explore different options so you reach a sketch design or two that you're really excited about.

I'd love to chat with you about your project and answer any questions you might have about the workshop so you can see if it's the right fit for you. You can book a call with me here: https://calendly.com/iarchitect/20minchat

Hope I can help you create the home you love!

Jane, i-architect.co.uk

• Julian Cheese

Hello Scott, one thing I noticed about the floor plan is that the doors, particularly upstairs open out into the rooms, ours all did that. On most of our rooms I have had them rehung on the other side so they open flat against the wall. It is amazing how much space that seems to open up. The light switches need rewireing to the other wall. Unfortunately you soon get so used to it you don’t notice the improvement!

• scotto87

thank you everyone for the help so far :)

@Julian that's something I noticed too and it's 100% we will be doing, I never understood why houses were built like that in the first place. :)

@Jane Thanks again, we might just take you up on that when we are ready!

• scotto87

@Jane please do share the photos when you can.

i-architect

The contractor for the project has promised to send me some site photos. I'll share those in the before and after when they come through.

Archit_studio2

Hi Scott,

this is a rough sketch about my idea.

At ground floor:

-enlarging the porch to create a cupboard on side;

- entrance with corridor to create connection front to back the house, and for a good flow;

-double pocket doors in the living;

-double pocket doors (glass door) between living and new open space , to have more natural light,

- new utility room on the left, with door in the garden;

- 1 metre extension at rear along the house;

- new open area with kitchen, dining and tv area;

- bifold doors at rear and rooflight for natural light;

- kitchen unit facing the garden, with island.

- ground floor extension with pitch roof and roof light, but is also possible a flat roof;

At first floor:

- existing bathroom + wc, divided to create an en-suite and a family bathroom;

- master bedroom at rear;

- dressing room for master bedroom between the existing two bedrooms;

- study or guest room in the small room at front.

Let me know what you think about this option, or if you prefer contact us at:

07403930900

Regards

Helga

• scotto87

wow Helga, I'm sorry I totally missed the notification that you had commented. thanks so much for the ideas, I love them and especially the walk in wardrobe idea upstairs.

Archit_studio2

Hi,

thank you so much.

I have a long experience in house extension and planning application.

If you like to see some of my similar projects please do not hesitate to contact me privately and we can arrange a zoom meeting or in person.

info@architstudio2.com

07403930900

Looking forward to hear from you

Helga

Nest Estimating Ltd

Do you need an accurate estimate? Contact us https://www.nestestimating.co.uk/