kl55hp

Ideas to "perk up" my "meh" hallway....

kl55hp
3 years ago

It started out as ‘purchasing a mirror’ for the hallway. I picked one; I liked; it arrived, and…. now I’m not sure what to do. (This often happens) Should I keep it? Should I return it (£20)?

I think I need to think about the hallway as a whole, and I’ve realised that it needs to ‘perk up’.

Would love to hear people’s ideas. Currently I think it’s a bit “meh”. I’d like it to evoke “Gee what a nice hallway!”, but still keep a calm, timeless style. (ie clean lines but not too contemporary).

The house is a 1930s semi, with a very nice original door. The hallway is north-facing (so a bit dark) and we have 4 kids so lots of shoes, bags, coats, helmets etc. To cope we have IKEA storage furniture; which works very well. This means all of the IKEA furniture frames have to stay (but the boxes can change).

The front reception room comes off the hallway. It was designed around the original fireplace (a weird mustard colour). It includes an art deco mirror – a nod to the 1930s – and some 1930s ornamental pieces (eg an old phone, globe, glass bowls, camera).

The rest of the house is timeless. The linking colours are grey (from Dulux steel grey range) and off-white. Each room has an accent colour dictated by things like an original fireplace. Eg mustard (front room fireplace), burgundy (music room f

ireplace), green (large kitchen/family room which looks onto garden).

Here are my questions. Should I:

· keep the new mirror?

· keep the clock?

· add some wood to the top of the IKEA units to disguise them? If so, what colour wood: painted white; natural oak; whitened oak?

· add some wallpaper to the ends of the units to disguise them (and to inject some colour)? If so, what style?

· add an accent colour? Which colour? (I dislike bright yellow, red, orange).

· keep the lamps?

· keep the ornamental duck (for keys etc)? and the bowl?

· Keep the current storage boxes?

Comments (11)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.