webuser_690430118

Side return extension roof & rooflight advice

HU-690430118
3 years ago

I would really appreciate some advice on maximising light into a dark house. We are about to start a side return extension 7.45m in length, currently our plans show 2 rooflights set into a flat roof that joins the outer line of the original house then pitches down to the party wall. One rooflight (1m x 1.8m) is set directly above and the French doors of the room behind the kitchen to maximise light into this dark room, the second (1m x 2.5m) will be positioned about half way down the extension (the diagram below shows the 2nd window in the wrong position, it will be roughly where the table is). Apart from wanting to bring light into a dark house I also want to maintain privacy from next door neighbours.
Our builder has suggested a pitched roof with a number of opening velux windows will bring much more light into the space and help with ventilation than our current plan. I think a pitched roof will give neighbours a clear view into our space and give us a view of their house. Any thoughts or ideas would be great, thank you.

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.