ciaran_l

Can't decide whether to go bespoke or ikea pax wardrobes...

ciaran L
3 years ago

I'm slowly getting round to doing up the rooms in my first house which I bought last year.

For my master bedroom, I had decided I wanted to go floor to ceiling and wall to wall fitted wardrobes with sliding smoked mirror doors. (To fit the wall in the photo below)

The size of this wall is 3.93m wide and 2.58m to the ceiling. In my mind the full wall as a smoked mirrors will look great, and the quote i've had seemed to be around the expected amount £3690 for the doors and all internals made and fitted (hanging space, shelves, and drawers.) This was for 5 internal sections with 5 doors, with my plan to have a drawer unit in the centre with a TV hidden behind the middle door.

However, i've also been looking at IKEA PAX system, which obviously don't tie in exactly to my sizes, but after planning it out, I could have it such as the photo below

With the 930mm left in the middle, I could get a bespoke drawer unit that the TV could sit on top of...

A couple of compromises would have to be made with the PAX system;

Firstly, it won't go all the way to the ceiling (200mm gap)

2. I can't get smoked/grey mirror (Had thought I could use a tint film to fix that)

3. The door panels are in sections (I prefer the one piece look - but not the end of the world)

4. Obviously it has the gap in the middle

5. Internal woodwork colour is limited (I planned to go grey with the bespoke items)

Just looking for help and advice on what you would do, obviously if going for the PAX system, even with a bespoke unit in the middle, the price would be under £2000 which is a fair difference, but i'm really stuck on what to do.... Is it worth the compromise for a 50% saving....

Look forward to hearing the responses..

Thanks

Comments (18)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.