ben_selby17

HELP!! How to lay out our new kitchen. I am going mad!

Ben Selby
3 years ago

We are moving into a new home in a few weeks and I have an absolute dilemma on how we should be laying out the ground floor, specifically the kitchen.

We know we want to put a downstairs WC in, as well as having a small walk in larder/utility room, ideally with space for a washer and dryer. All the plumbing services are on the left hand side of the building, but there is a decent depth cavity below the floor so it wouldn't be impossible to take plumbing work to an island in the middle of the room.

I have looked at a few layout options and although the room is large, none seem to quite end up working and we end up with appliances in clashing zones etc.

I really like the idea of having a hidden door entrance to the pantry, something like this, but if it means we lose storage or worktop space it might not be worth it...

I have attached a few of the plans I have hand drawn, as well as a plain floorplan with dimensions that show the space as it is now.

Comments (15)

• Artistic Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Ben,

The first pencil drawn plan that you have looks like a really good use of space - excellent in fact. The kitchen layout looks functional, the utility closet (awesome), storage good, and enough room for lounge seating & dining directly near the garden. You might consider bench seating along the right wall so it better uses the dining space. Also the extra enclosed reception space & the w/c placement looks good too.

So what exactly is the issue with this plan? Is it the plumbing, or is there something else?

If it is the plumbing, and your plumbing is on the left side of the house, you may need to reconfigure the left wall of walled cabinetry (assuming that is what they are) and include the sink there opposite the island (leaving the island appliance free or put the range / hob there with a hidden extractor fan). I know it is not ideal but you can add a mirrored backsplash or just a statement mirror in front of the sink - both of which can look really good. This may be your only compromise to get everything you want - as given your traffic pattern layout, this is challenging, but like you, I do like the enclosed utility space and would hate to have to give that up - which also requires plumbing, so is there an issue with this too - still confused, sorry - ? ). You can also put your coffee maker / microwave / double ovens (if not going for a range) next to the sink. If you use this, you may also want to consider making the island more square than rectangle (just increase the island's size by making it a bit deeper), as this will just be easier to use with the new sink placement & put the hob / range more to the right of the island (if you put it there). These layout options will give you a nice triangle shaped work zone. You can then consider putting 1 or 2 full cabinets on the right wall to compensate for the loss of these on the left. It can be done well & look great.

Best wishes

Ben Selby thanked Artistic Interiors
  • CHARLOTTE HILL-BALDWIN
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Ben. An interesting conundrum. You have such a great space and all the options you show incorporate a great amount of cabinetry in addition to construction works. As a kitchen design consultant, the second question I would ask is, what budget you are working within as that will influence the layout considerably. I know that no one likes to talk this put their budget out there, but at the end of the day it is important to have a guide, so your designer proposes the right quality and quantity. Functioning with a pantry for food and large utensil storage means making it very easily accessible from the main preparation area – or you get a keep fit kitchen! It may be better to incorporate a fitted larder and keep the utility to just that. Consider creating a shape on the left-hand side that incorporates the utility and wc and also protects the sink area from walk-through to the seating space and garden, you then contain the wet elements and get a flow around the space that is more pleasing for the chef.

Happy to consult, further if required. Best regards from Charlotte

About Me

Ben Selby thanked CHARLOTTE HILL-BALDWIN
  • Related Discussions

Need help laying out kitchen

Q

Comments (15)
    It's starting to look great, A couple thoughts: 1) Move the sink to the right and shorten that whole run of base cabinets, (maybe 60cm Trash on the right, then 90cm sink base, 60cm DW), so that the fridge moves to the right into the prep area (or is in between prep and serving).. 2) You definitely need an elevated bar for seating to protect the folks sitting, so that will have to be a "two tier" peninsula. 3) Once you shorten that whole wall, you can either continue with a coffee bar on the left and end it with a tall pantry, or eliminate all those cabinets after fridge altogether and have a store bought credenza as a Coffee Bar. That may (or may not) save any money Anyway, that's what I was thinking. I tried to get your drawing off this page to mark it up, but it wouldn't print. So I am attaching a hand drawn.
    ...See More

How should I lay out my 'interesting' London flat? - Advice needed

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi. I would do something like the attached which isn't particularly to scale but existing bed 2 has been reduced to 10x10. I'd only make the bathroom a bit bigger unless you want to widen it by taking a little from the new Master bedroom. Move the bath down 20-30cm and have shelves built in floor to ceiling for storage. If you wanted you could have pocket doors from the lounge through to the office (with sofa bed) so you can open the whole lot up for entertaining etc. if you do that just think about resale ie accessing bedroom from lounge unless you do convert the loft so it won't end up being a bedroom. I'd buy a unit to house the tv and books. Maybe think about a dining table that can double up as prep area. In any case I'd get one with a bench seat that slides under on the kitchen side to save space. I'm not a pro though so just my thoughts!
    ...See More

How do I lay out this master bedroom?

Q

Comments (22)
    Victoria - for some reason it seems wrong to have the back of the sofa smack in the center of the main window - but not so weird the front! I would need a surveyor to work out whether those walls are load bearing - but that could be a possibility. I did consider whether something like that could work.
    ...See More

Help, how do I make our kitchen look less dull? Pic below.

Q

Comments (35)
    If this is a short term fix, I'd try to find a fabric to tie in those terracotta ties with the off white paint you're using elsewhere and just put a simple roman blind (it doesn't need to work) at the window. Something like this will tie in and has the grey of the floor. We moved last year and I'm sorting out building work - in the meantime I've added nice curtains and blinds and it's meant I don't mind living with it. And I think the open shelves alongside the window will make an enormous difference in taking the eye away from the tiles.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Hi - just stopped working for lunch - so thought I’d pop on Houzz to see what’s going on.... interesting ideas - not sure on the first one - as you need to trail through the hall to kitchen door with your laundry basket and then go through the double doors into the hidden area - so needs to be easy access when your hands are full ... - with a depth of of 1500mm it leaves only 900mm crouch room in front of the appliances (if they are on the long side ) so it’s a bit tight - might work better if you split this space into pantry accesses on right side of kitchen and laundry accessed with a door opposite loo ? Lots to consider with the rest of it - if you do decide to design this fully yourself - can I suggest you get a credible pro to safety check it before you place an order ?? As if you put your sink on left and hob on island you are crossing the main route with boiling pans - and that’s not safe ...

Ben Selby thanked OnePlan
  • Ellie
    3 years ago

First thing I noticed........ ate you chopping a bit off your living room to use as a utility? What length does that leave the living room? I don't think that's a good idea....

• Ben Selby
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Ellie we are leaving the living room untouched and taking some of the existing kitchen space for the utility/pantry. I think the room is big enough, but don't want to create a kitchen that feels hectic and a cramped utility just because we want both rooms.

• Ben Selby
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@OnePlan thanks so much for the response. To be honest I am trying to get my head around what would and wouldn't be a good layout so I can go and speak to a pro.

The first layout works the best from a storage perspective but as soon as I try to add appliances and the sink it becomes a little trickier, the issue you pointed out being the worst of them.

I wonder if I am biting off more than the room can chew by trying to add the utility space...

• PRO
    OnePlan
    3 years ago

Well I probably couldn’t do your job - so any fair that you might struggle to do mine !! Lol - taking off which lunch is over and I need to get back to it ! No rest for the wicked and all that !!

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

I like the idea of the utility between the kitchen and living room as it means a preserved sight line from the front door all the way through the house.
    I think this layout has several divisions with traffic routes so the concealed door seems to just divide the space again. I would put the door into the utility from hall instead, and as OnePlan said make the utility a shade wider to make it less cramped.
    This is of course just one of several successful layouts and actually a Concept Planner might be invaluable.

• Ben Selby
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jonathan Thank you, I need a mixture of architect, structural engineer and kitchen designer to map out the best use of the space (there is a structural wall by the stairs to be removed). Is this what you mean by Concept Planner? Often the biggest blocker to finding contractors is not knowing who to speak to.

• Ben Selby
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Artistic Interiors Thanks! The first one has a fair few issues eg where do all the appliances go? How do we ensure the fridge is not clashing with other areas. It is close to be a wonderful room, but needs some tweaking to get it right. Main issue is having hob and sink either side of the main traffic route through the room...

• Artistic Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Ben -

First, we need to establish the plumbing situation. Since your 1st pencil drawing plan (the plan that is ideal for function, space and what you said you wanted assuming the measurements all work out - if you designed this yourself, you should be proud) shows that you will be feeding plumbing into the utility room, is it possible to run additional sink plumbing to either the island or to the cabinets against the shared wall with the utility room?

If it is possible, then the plan you have now is ideal for storage, usage, layout and everything else, with the one change of putting the sink in the middle of the island (you need space on one side to stack your dishes that need to be washed & space on the other to stack your clean dishes to dry and then be put away). If you prefer to use the island for prep - breakfast bar ? - and serving then placing your sink in the back wall of cabinets with enough room on either side and a planning for comfortable standing space (again you can put a statement mirror there if you don't want to be stairing at the wall when doing dishes) would work very well too. Either of these options would be ideal with your layout.

The fridge is fine where you have it - just make sure there is enough room to open the door (back of door should end up parallel to your main traffic tunnel) or get a double door one (American Style).

If because of plumbing, you need to locate the sink on the left wall - honestly the health & safety thing for a house hold (it is not a thorough fair for business or pedestrian traffic) is really just about using commong sense and being smart. Yes there will be more traffic through that area than would be through the other parts of your kitchen, but it isn't a runway of constant passers by. Everytime I move a hot pan or pot with boiling water from the hob or oven, across a pathway to the sink, I always look around before swinging the pot out and starting the journey, as does every one else I hope. Just use common sense - I often think that although many H&S issues are important and valid, sometimes it is used as a way to get people to react to concerns so they will buy more stuff rather than something that is a real issue. Unless there is some specific issue to deal with for your family or situation or you still feel it is a valid concern - common sense and looking around should do the trick.

Let me know about the plumbing situation and I can walk you throug appliance placement for either senario.

Best wishes!

• Ben Selby
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Artistic Interiors Thanks so much for the detailed response!

I did do it myself so thanks! Quite enjoyed coming up with all the different options, my girlfriend thinks I have gone mad.

In terms of plumbing, we will be laying a new floor and we know there is roughly a 40cm cavity below the floor, so I think there should be enough space for running pipework to the island if that is where we choose to have the sink.

I've been trying to work out a few options, sink on the left hand wall, sink on island, sink up against the pantry etc – I don't know which one would suit us better. Then trying to get a big american style fridge freezer, dishwasher and range cooker placed in a way that makes for a kitchen that is enjoyable to use.

Attached is a slightly updated plan, with a smaller pantry and a laundry cupboard accessed from the hall to make the washing machine more accessible. I also attached a more accurate blank floorplan that shows the two pillars holding up the steel for the extension that I have previously been ignoring :)

Thanks!

• Artistic Interiors
    3 years ago

Hi Ben,

As we get into the nitty gritty details with measurements and everything, then that starts to really get into a checking everything, very time-consuming situation to make sure all the elements of your project will fit and work out. I am retired now, but may I suggest once we get the big stuff laid out, then you (if you feel confident) or get a professional to check over the entire plan to make sure everything works for the measurements, spaces, appliances you are looking at, etc. A kitchen designer may help, but would really try to find someone who can 'consult' on the whole plan. That way you know everything checks out when it comes time to do the buiding works & installation. If you have a kitchen designer as well, usually part of the kitchen sales package, they can then double check all of the kitchen & utility stuff.

What I can do is tell you in functional terms what I know will work better for layout given your building constraints, day-to-day living, etc.

First, I like the row of tall cabinets along the left side - this will allow for optimum storage - even a coat closet in the first cabinet if there isn't enough space in the entry. Plus for all the dishwear you may not use everyday but are helpful for extra guests, and for the option of sticking in a built-in microwave & coffee maker, if not another better place. So if you can keep this, then great. If not, then it can be configured partially or wholly like your standard kitchen units.

Plan 1 - this plan depends on how you want to use the island and the dimensions of it (if it is big enough).

• Sink ideal in island really. The sink doesn't have to be centered, but there needs to be at least 30cm on the smaller side of it min as you don't want dishes falling off - 50-60cm is ideal of course.
    • Dishwasher - If you are left handed, put your dishwasher just right of the sink and if you are right handed, put it just left of the sink.
    • Range on other side of utility door
    • Fridge as is

Plan 2 -

• Island clear
    • Sink other side of utility door
    • Sink placement makes dishwasher placement tricky - if enough space then to right of sink
    • Range on right side wall
    • Fridge as is

Plan 3 -

• Island clear
    • Sink on right side wall (if plumbing is doable)
    • Dishwasher - If you are left handed, put your dishwasher just right of the sink and if you are right handed, put it just left of the sink.
    • Fridge as is

Plan 4 -

• Built-in coffee / microwave station in tall cabinet where Rridge is shown now
    • Sink ideal in island really. The sink doesn't have to be centered, but there needs to be at least 30cm on the smaller side of it min as you don't want dishes falling off - 50-60cm is ideal of course.
    • Fridge at the end of the cabinetry on the right wall

All of these layout plans give you a useable and functional working zone (usually triangle shaped for sink - range - fridge) that isn't too spread out to become a neusance. Also, they each aford you a viable counter prep space or two for chopping and preparing your meals.

Your partner may think you are mad, but that is why people hire designers - because most plans need to be worked and reworked, taking in to account loads of factors, preferences, and incorporating great design as well as dealing with copius measurements. This is why hours and hours can and often should be spent on getting things right in the planning. I can't tell you the number of houses I've visited where people have had work done that just didn't function well for them in the end. It is worth it to spend the time over it now and if you need to - hire help or get a professional to double-check you work. It usually saves money and hopefully loads of frustration down the road.

Best wishes and Good Luck!

• Artistic Interiors
    3 years ago

Oh! P.S. -

You can move your cabinet - door opening for the utility up or down or to the end of the back wall cabinets if that helps fit everything in with the right measurements. Get your kitchen to work, then your utility / larder, etc etc etc. The idea is to get the overall plan to work, and then work each area individually until it works - rejigging the whole plan at any stage a little bit here and there if needed.

You really are doing great Ben! Keep it up :)

Best wishes!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.