webuser_715745148

Would you build a flat roof or vaulted roof extension?

HU-715745148
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are looking to extend our kitchen diner by adding a 8x3 m single story extension. We’d be knocking down the existing wooden conservatory and knocking through and opening our existing kitchen, utility and part of our garage into the new extension. However, the house already has an extension over the garage which is asymmetrical and any new extension is going to be difficult to blend because of the roof levels. So our first question is, should the extension be flat roof or pitched roof, as we don’t want an ugly add on?!. We did think flat roof with a terrace leading onto the roof from our bedroom, but we’re unsure how this would look against the asymmetry of the roof? We also don’t have the budget to put a dormer on the asymmetrical roofline and do the kitchen extension as well, and the latter needs doing ASAP as it’s falling apart.

With this in mind, we want the extension to fit in so we thought we’d clad the extension and side gableend with a vertical cladding (black or grey ecoscape composite) which we could then wrap around the full back of the house, at half height. This, we thought would blend the new extension in with the old extension and original part of the house, but we’re unsure if this would look good. what are everyone’s thoughts?

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.