Layout help please!

HU-925092945
last year
last modified: last year

Hi all,

We're looking to buy a flat and have unexpectedly fallen for a first floor flat in a converted 1930s semi that doesn't meet our criteria in terms of layout - there's just something about it which everything we've seen before or since has failed to live up to.

However I am still a bit worried about the layout and have some ideas re. what we could do to improve it. Any advice would be v gratefully received to help us make an informed decision about making an offer!

The objective is to join up the kitchen/dining/living space, and provide direct access to the garden (on the ground floor, currently accessed by fully exiting the building and going round the side).

My idea is to change the master bedroom into the kitchen + bathroom, with the bathroom "nested" into the kitchen corner. The window of this room overlooks the garden and could have a fire escape-type staircase constructed outside it to provide direct access.

The wall between the current kitchen and bathroom would then be taken down and that room would be converted into a (slightly oddly shaped) bedroom.

Is this even possible? Thinking particularly about the difficulty of moving pipes etc. in a converted upper floor flat. How much is it likely to cost? Are there any other ways to meet the objective? Would the flat's value be affected (positively or negatively)?

Thanks so much to everyone who takes the time to feed in - this flat has been driving us to madness!