Is converting a conservatory to extend the kitchen going to be cheaper

Susi Knightwell

We've just bought a house, and I'm trying to figure out how we can make better use of the back of the house. Currently there's a slightly awkwardly laid out kitchen an an extension that is pretty stuffy when it's hot. Ideally I'd like a much bigger kitchen and to get rid of the conservatory. But we're on a budget and I've not got the first clue as to how much something like that might cost. Might it be cheaper because the conservatory has a concrete floor?! Anyone done something similar?

Also (and this is how naive I am), how do you even go about getting an extension? Do you go to a builder with plans? Do you get a builder to come up with ideas? Does it involve an architect? Any guidance on rough costs, whether that includes actually installing a kitchen, as well as timelines would be massively appreciated.