bertiejohnson

Kitchen layout stress! Ideas welcome...

Bertie Bear

Hi Houzzers, hope everyone is well and has had a lovely weekend :)

We’ve been trying to design our kitchen FOR AGES! I think the problem is maybe I’ve looked at too many photos and mags trying to get inspiration and actually these are often £££s and also the designs we have liked are more traditional Shaker kitchen style.

I’d an epiphany a few weeks ago when I clocked nearly all the photos we liked had the built-out chimney style thing (a la Tom Howley) but that won’t work in our kitchen because we have one exterior wall with a window and along that run we have the sink AND cooker (for extraction).

So now I’m trying to think what’s right for us. I’ve attached photos of the design we think we’ll go with below. Any comments or suggestions would be incredibly welcome.

My key concerns are:

• if cups, tea and juice stuff are in cupboards along the back wall should we try and move the sink to the island - or add a small sink even (but then likely to be £££)? We’ve opted for a hot water tap and in some pics I can see people do this...
  • aesthetically does the L-cupboard in the corner look a bit odd? Would it be better to make it two cupboards at right angles - but then one half of a cupboard you can’t easily access
  • the cooker!!! From reading on here we reckon induction is the way forward so have chosen a range cooker with induction hob, but now I’m thinking have we chosen the range because we’ve been trying to create a traditional shaker style kitchen like in the brochures, when in fact we want an induction hob and live in a new build house...? Should we be thinking about having ovens etc instead. Is a range with induction odd?

Eurgh what a nightmare! We’d like to have family and see ourselves using this space for socialising and entertaining. The other end of the room is our living area (ie tv and sofas) with doors opening onto the garden.

Any ideas or thoughts greatly appreciated as really beginning to stress about this. Thank you guys!

• Ellie

Can you post a floorplan of the whole space with measurements/windows/doors marked on.

Are you having a dining table?

I wanted a range, as we had one already, but when I thought about it we only used more than one oven at Christmas! So I have a single built in oven, induction hob is great. Think if how often you use more than one oven at the one time.... a range can take up a lot of space...

You mention you like the Tom howley look, but your layout has no resemblance to that style?

• Bertie Bear

Hi Ellie that’s a good point which I should have thought to include! Here’s a copy of the builder’s drawings - does that help? Otherwise I can take a photo or two (but it’s very basic atm - think concrete floor & some make-do units we got off gumtree lol).

We will have a dining table yes - it’ll come down under the veluxes near the end of the wine fridge area. The tv & snug area will be at the bottom where the doors to the garden are.

I hope this helps. We love the kitchens in the Tom H brochure yes but felt the style was largely centred around the mantle around the cooker theme which we don’t think will look right in our room because of the window being on the same run? Not sure if there are other features though? Yuk it’s a lot to consider & feels so final too! Thanks again Ellie :)

• Bertie Bear

To be clear, the dining table will be turned 90 degrees and sit parallel with the side wall vs. How the drawings show it!

• Richard L

Complex kitchen - re the built in fridge - rather built around fridge I wouldn't be keen on and avoided in our kitchen.

Sort of like when everyone built flat screen TV's in the wall and then the sizes all changed.

If its an 'american' stand alone - leave it stand alone.

If you go for built in - go really built in/drawers/cabinets whatever - but fixed sizes.

Kitchen Cupboard Paint
    last modified: last month

Hi Bertie Bear

You have such a great space and lots of opportunities to make it work effectively. Here are my thoughts which I hope may help you focus on the priorities.

The busiest area for prep, cooking and cleaning up will be between the hob and the sink. Your current plan allows for 1.4m, which is snug in such a large space and I think that your 'builders' plan shows the main thoroughfare coming in via two doors in the current sink 'corner' so a busy spot indeed. Could you cope without a window to look out of while at the sink?!

Consider the current location of the fridge freezer, would you find it rather annoying, if you keep table items within it, such as drinks, sauces mayo etc. to be buzzing around your island from the seating area?

Your illustrations suggest plumbing for the USA style FF so if it is possible to plumb anywhere in the space, this opens up the sink in the island option and then how functional you can make the island itself. Will it have stools to sit up to on one side, for example? Or could you create a room within a room by using a peninsula instead?

You love the whole Tom Howley look, embrace it and go with a feature canopy to hide your vented extraction, it is a large room to vent, so the motor needs to be capable. You have a nib wall to make use of already so are a third of the way there!

If you chose a Range with induction hob, (they are great at the mid-range price point and above), it naturally becomes a hero, as it will be dominant in the room. Hence kitchen showrooms putting feature canopies over them to draw you in! Check out https://cookerhoodsuk.com/ for bespoke but well-priced feature hood options.

It all comes down to your budget at the end of the day, so wherever you are going, give them a budget guide to work within.

I am very happy to have a video call with you to get your full brief to enable a design fee proposal to be formed if this is of interest to you at this stage.

Just let me know!

Best regards from Charlotte

OnePlan

Hi - the plans don’t seem to take into account the pillar that protrudes between window and range cooker area ? Also the main door in seems to have moved ? The DW is currently a trip hazard between sink and hob but if the door has moved it means it can’t go to the left as will block that main route in when it’s open ... can you confirm door position and if the pillar has been removed ?

• hock79

Don’t deny yourself the style that you love just because of the window and it being a new build, I think the built out chimney can still totally work, it will look great with a range, induction or not. I’ve tried to find some pics of chimney hoods and windows on the same wall for you to consider

• kwg kwg
    last modified: last month

It's always hard to find that compromise between style and practicality isn't it. You have a lot of storage planned which is great.

You need to imagine yourself 'working' in the kitchen with that design, it's definitely going to be a very busy area if you are at the sink, unloading dishwasher, cooking food with adults/ children walking past and you having to move out of the way every time. You might start to think that it's quite annoying.

It feels like that L shaped section of wall and base cupboards is going to be under used in terms of the countertops, as you will have a hot water tap so no kettle, how do you plan to use that space?

Not sure about adding another sink to the island as it's another sink to clean.

For me if the whole kitchen was moved from that external wall to the opposite side that would be better but then you would need to think how you could duct out the cooker. You can then have some cupboards ( tall or low level ) to store kitchen items you don't really use that often.

Did you get the design done by a kitchen designer?

• Bertie Bear

Hi all thank you so much for these comments. My mum (who is in her 60s!) has mainly helped with the design - combined with reviewing a lot of mags & brochures. Interestingly (like Richard’s comment) she is strongly against the built in casing for the fridge freezer... perhaps I’ll flip it round so it’s on the other side & allow some room so if needs be it can be less “built in”.

I am concerned a lot of key things are bunched around that little section, one door (opposite the window) is the entrance to the room. The other door, at 90 degrees to it is the utility room which I’m thinking will not be that busy....

Charlotte your comments re range & extractor hood are super helpful & I’ll have a look on the website too :) plus speak with hubby about your suggestion of a call to get a proper / more considered design done. Thank you :)

One Plan I’m sorry I totally missed pointing that out - we had the builders take out that pillar. The doors are as shown though. I’ve taken some photos which may help (excuse the mess!)

I honestly hadn’t thought about the DW being a trip hazard, bugger. We’ve had the floor concreted down but it’s not tiled so wonder if we can get some plumbing in still to accommodate a sink & potentially DW elsewhere...

Kwg also making me think very differently re trying to move more into the other wall area! We’d thought people would sit round the island there which is why the wine fridge & rack was put close by!

We went into Harvey Jones & they have prepared the drawings based on the ones we’d done...we were there a couple of hours & we’re pleased to see it marked out properly! Although they don’t do a CAD image which was a bummer when we found out! I’ve had a look online though & think I can do one myself... just need to reassess the layout I think!

On budget, that’s a sticky subject as it just keeps getting higher! Would having the mantle done be a job for the builders if we did have it built in like the gorgeous photos hock79 found? Who does that?

I really am incredibly grateful for all your help guys, thank you! B

• Bertie Bear

Sorry should add, the “home office” is not going to be a permanent fixture!

• hock79

With regard to the built out chimney I believe it would be a job for a builder. @our1930sfixerupper who I follow on Instagram has done this blog post on it, hope it is of some help: https://our1930sfixerupper.com/faq-kitchen/

• Richard L
    last modified: last month

Traditionally sink is always under the window to facilitate daydreaming during the drudgery :)

However - with an open back to the kitchen through the diner - I'd be inclined to put the sink facing out across the dining area, peninsula perhaps rather than island, with a view through the house and keep that area by the door/window clear for movement?

Tall storage along the window wall - larder, built in utilities to hide behind a sleek area with worktops for balance.

Cooking opposite, or back to the dining open area, and sink facing out across the new open plan dining area?