webuser_887398716

My roof or soffit is making popping noises, what should I do?

HU-887398716
3 years ago

Problem:

I moved into my house 6 months ago. Since I moved in I have heard banging noises originating from the edge of my first floor bedroom (east facing). The noise appear to just by the eaves of the house, just where the roof meets the white soffit/fascia and black guttering. If I am in my west facing bedroom I can hear the same noises (at different times of the day)

I am sure that the source of the noise is ultimately the sun / thermal expansion, as on cold days or overcast days there is no noise at all. Of the noises I can hear there are two slightly different types

Noise 1: Bangs/Pops early in the morning as the sun is coming up at dawn. These are loud and occur roughly once every 15 minutes (annoying when I am trying to sleep at 5.30 am!)

Noise 2: Quieter pops when the sun comes out during the day. These are more frequent and will pop every 10 seconds or so for a few minutes. I have actually managed film this on one sunny day. Also with my hand I have physically felt the gutter shake as these noises are generated.

What I need?

a) Could someone advise on what they think the physical problem is e.g. guttering expansion, fascia expansion, or something to do with the roof?

b) What type of builder should I go to fix the problem e.g. a roofer

House Specification:

Builder: Bovis (standard NHBC style new build house)

End of Terrace

Year of Construction: 2012

Walls: Concrete Breeze Block and Brick Fascades

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.