annaking28

Moving stairs 90° in small terraced house.

Anna King
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We're looking to buy a small terraced house but unfortunately the houses we can afford tend to have the classic 'stairs across the middle' layout where the stairs cut through the front two reception rooms. We love the idea of renovating a house to increase the value and also would love a house with a double length open-plan room downstairs so would like to know how feasible it would be to move a staircase 90° so it ran across the side of the building (so the stairs are ahead of you when you walk into the house).

This would also mean we could create a landing upstairs which would improve the upstairs layout, removing the similarly awkward 'bedroom 3 off bedroom 2' layout and also we would most likely move the bathroom upstairs. Here is a floorplan to show what I mean but we haven't actually chosen a house yet, they just all seem to be this general layout.

How long does this kind of project tend to take and roughly how much should we budget? This is assuming the joists run in the right direction and we were to re-use the existing staircase.

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.