simon_ridley9

Renovating old farm cottage - Plaster Advice needed

Simon Ridley
3 years ago

Hi,

My partner and I purchased last year a 100yr old Farm Cottage as a project to renovate together. Having spent just over a year in the property as is, we now have a good idea what we would like to do. We are however conscious that due to the age of the property and some of the materials used in its construction, that we tread carefully to do things right, preserve the character and ultimately not damage the property.

This is particularly relevant with the internal wall plaster. We recently had central heating fitted and in doing so, the engineers channelled pipework into the walls, see below:

This channelling now requires making good. However we believe the pre-existing plaster is lath & plaster and are not sure what is best to approach here to repair this. The plaster also appears to have been painted if that is of any relevance.

We have the same challenge in an upstairs bedroom, where damp was identified on the chimney stack after discovering we had a leaky chimney, which has since been repaired.

We understand that due to the construction of this property it has to breathe in order to ventilate correctly, so we after some advice around what the best approach is to tackle this and not cause damp. Does all the plaster need to be removed, or can it be patched, and with what material?

Many thanks for your time :)

Comments (9)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.