webuser_502619007

Blind child and Neighbour extension that impacts light

Adam Dob
3 years ago

Hello, I’m wondering / hoping someone might be able to help.

I have a pretty much blind child, she has some residual light / dark sensitivity but no useful sight. A few years ago we had some extra windows put into our living room to add extra natural light to one end as it was very dark, and she really did not like being in there. Since then, she’s been much much better and can navigate around , in and out, and happy using the whole space. I might add it’s quite a long room at about 8 metres, and the end of the room has 4meter wide glass doors. Even with those , the far end is very dark and much improved with the extra windows.

Our neighbours want to build a two storey extension that will come pretty much to the boundary. I’ve found some loose ‘regulations’ that seem to be more like talking points around the 25degree upward angle and 45 degree sideways angle, which don’t seem reason to refuse an application even this I think would fail on both counts. I can’t find anything that links these to a visually impaired / blind persons use of the space.

I also can’t prove the benefit of these additional windows to our daughters ability to navigate, and neither can we realistically prove any material implication of the proposed extension. I mean how can we know, for sure, until it’s actually built ?

We intend to attempt to discuss with them, but the fact they haven’t approached us tells me they aren’t that bothered and pretty set on their plans, so I’m looking to gather any ideas that might be helpful to have in my back pocket should they be required.

Does anyone have any ideas / precedent / regulations that might be helpful ??

Thanks in advance ,

Adam

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.