hzdeleted_47511307

Do I absolutely have to have radiators in the bedrooms?!

User
3 years ago

We are in the final stages of renovating and modernising our 1950s bungalow (which hadn't been touched since the 1970s) and are wondering whether we absolutely have to have radiators in the bedrooms?! The rest of the house (kitchen, bathroom, hallway and lounge/dining room) are tiled and have underfloor heating throughout, but we wanted carpet in the bedrooms, so didn't have underfloor heating there. The upstairs master bedroom was not insulated and used to be absolutely freezing in winter (skin of ice on glass of water in the morning freezing! 🤣) and a good ten degrees hotter than the rest of the house in summer, but we've had spray insulation put in and triple glazed windows ... so I'm wondering whether we even need radiators at all, particularly in view of the fact that winters just aren't as chilly as they used to be.

I grew up in New Zealand (while we didn't get snow, we got very regular frosts in winter) and I don't recall us ever having radiators, so I'm wondering whether, now that it's a pretty well insulated house, we need them at all.

Equally, should we decide at a later date that we do want to put radiators in the bedrooms, how easy are they to retrofit?

Any advice would be most welcome!

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.