webuser_822090966

Kitchen/diner layout help please! 6m x 3m

Hannah L
3 years ago

Hi, we live in a ground floor Victorian flat with an awkward kitchen. Using the plan below, the space between units is too small to use for a table but much larger than it needs to be. We have a breakfast bar along the left hand wall, which we do use. The boiler is on the wall in the bottom right hand corner and the fridge within the larder where there is not much room for anything else. With a dishwasher and washing machine on each side of the sink and a microwave on the work surface under the boiler, we have very limited storage space or work surface.

We are planning to extend out the back (top of the photo) to make a new kitchen/diner that is 6.18 x 3.22m and I am struggling to work out how to plan the new space.

The dream is to have a double oven in a full height cupboard, a tumble drier and more storage. We also want to fit a table in and have bifold doors along the back. I just can't work out the configuration. Playing on Ikea's site, I have something that looks like this:

Flipped 180 and in 2D it looks like this:

Number 2 would be the dishwasher and 7 & 8 (on the opposite side of the peninsula) would be a washing machine and tumble drier. And we would extend the work surface where the high stools are to allow for a small breakfast bar for watching the chef at work!

My worry is that we are still not using the space effectively with a large space between the units again but I don't see another way of putting the full height cabinets in without blocking the view to the garden through the bifold doors.

I am really keen to hear what other people might be able to see that I can't! We will have sky lights over the extended part as well as the bifolds at the back so could lose the windows over the sink (the view is about a metre of blank space and a fence, but I think it would be cheaper and nicer to keep them.

Thank you for any help/advice in advance,

Hannah

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.