tim_summers15

Thoughts on a dark green bedroom.

Tim Summers
last modified: 3 months ago

Think that this is the correct forum to post this.

I am interested from 'people in the know' what their thoughts are on having a dark green bedroom. Good idea, bad idea, good karma, good for relaxation etc etc.

We have a large bedroom so I think that it could be carried off, but just need conformation before going all out on it.

At the moment the colour has remained the same since we moved in 3+ years ago, so we both agree that it could do with a bit of a freshen up.

(apologies for the mess, pics quickly taken before leaving for the day)

All pictures taken from the 4 corners of the room, then a few of the hallway in. At the moment it's pretty bare and all the furniture will be replaced (apart from the bed as that's a new Super King as a standard double just looked ridiculously lost in there). I don't like the wall lights so they'll be removed for 'normal' lighting. Bed Side cabinets, sidelights etc to be purchased..

The colour that I REALLY want is something called Jotun 5489, but I can't find that here in the UK as it's Swedish I think. I may ask for a colour swab of it then try and get it matched. The inside of the arch, and window frames to be in Jotun 'curious mind'

Exactly like this actually:

Do you think that the room can carry it ??

• Tim Summers

Thanks for the replies, it's given me a lot of food-for-thought.

I'll try and address a few things - Low Ceilings. Our bedroom does not have what anyone would consider to be low ceilings - yes they're not double height Victorian, but they're what I would call standard height. I'm 6ft 2 and can just touch them with the tips of my fingers with outstretched arms. It must be the camera doing something funny. The house was built in the 1980's I think, so it's just a normal estate house.

Everything in the room (apart from the bed) will be replaced. The wardrobes that we're looking at are

With bedside a draw unit and bedside tables the same

Then I want pendant lighting over the bed similar to this

I also noticed that in my photos we have the horrible grey rug at the end of the bed - this is not a thing in our bedroom - This belongs in the wifes massage therapy room, but due to Covid (and cleaning) it's been removed, and our room was the only one that we could get it flat rather than rolling it up.

Glad someone mentioned the skirting boards - yes these will be changed. I have a thing for skirting boards and we're gradually making our way through the house replacing them with double height nice tall ones.

The carpet at the moment maybe could be described as old/faded green/blue - I don't know what colour it's 'supposed' to be as I guess it was laid many many years ago. Anyway - yeah, that'll go, and no doubt be replaced by some vanilla beige one.

I'm going to pop into the F&B shop on the way home from work and get some testers and see what happens.

Oh, and it's a definite YES to getting rid of the textured ceilings !!!! I think that this is the only room in the house that now has it left - all the others we've had skimmed and re-painted when we've attacked that specific room.

Thanks again to everyone

• Tim Summers

Oh, just had a thought. I've zoopla'd (is that even a word) our house to see if there are any old stock photos on any previous listings. Maybe these would have been taken with an actual 'camera' rather than an iPhone so may come out better. Does this show that it's a 'normal' room better :)

Dark spare bedroom - help!

you can go dark but think about a warmer dark than blue. what about a fashionable browny grey or a deep umber, even aubergine. blue is considered a cold colour, so cosying up your room with blue will be hard to do. electric light on it can be harsh so all in all i would steer clear if I am honest.

Dark blue bedroom

I really think the last pic is hague blue, I can see the green undertones. You havent mentioned the light levels in your room but if you want something less green, try either Dock Blue by Little Greene, it is very dark but it is a true blue and no hint of teal; or Royal Navy by little greene which is a lighter version of Dock Blue and definitely more blue than Hague. The first pic below is Royal navy in my room (but bear i mind that this is a dark room so colour might be darker than usual); 2nd pic is the official picture from LG of Royal Navy (you can see how much lighter it looks, I imagine this is what it would mostly look like in a south or west room!), 3rd pic is LG picture of Dock Blue.

dark green walls help please!

Yes, green all the way. Lovely colour. Personally I would change the wall lights to something that gives a little more light. Brass or silver with glass would look fab. If possible a central ceiling pendant over the stairwell, and artwork will definitely give it the wow factor.

bedroom laminate - white or dark?

Yes the LVT is nice but would need to board over all the floorboards and it's way out of my price bracket for the bedroom, haha. The floor I found online is similar to the bannerton but a bit cheaper (it's in the sale) but has a 25yr guarantee so should be fairly durable. It looks the same ie with a bit of the grain showing through. Was hoping for something brighter and whiter but I haven't got weeks to buy in loads more samples as need to fit it next weekend, haha
  • mattweeksdj

This was the dark green bedroom this morning, maybe it will help you decide!

• Carolina

Just a tip before you start painting, try out the colour(s) you're thinking of using in the room first. Especially with the colour of the headboard.

• Sonia

I agree with Carolina. Painting A4 pieces of card with paint samples and trying them in different areas of the room, and next to the bed will help you gauge whether it is for you. The white furniture will certainly help lift the scheme too. It’s going to look amazing.

• Marta

Your green seems to have undertones in it. I was in love with a wall colour in an online photo and l went to bandq. They've so many catalogues of different brands to compare it with, I think I've finally found it. They prepared for me a tester pot!

• Tim Summers

Ok, so upon news of the new lockdown, off I went to the local Dulux decorator centre and grabbed myself a new roller, some brushes and also 7.5lts of paint

https://www.dulux.co.uk/en/colour-details/highland-green?awc=12009_1604504039_b2b1f12566b73e6f34d45deb7ab5efe4&utm_source=AWIN_101248&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=Sub+Networks

Game on !!

The wife is in charge of the new furniture

• Tim Summers

One wall done with one coat, I must admit that I was very sceptical before, and also during, but it’s a grower for sure. Not sure what to do with the skirting boards though, leave ‘wood’ (probably not), paint gloss white, or I’m also kinda pondering if I should go green as well. Let’s see what happens. I’m going to to another wall when I get

home and then make some decisions.

• Carolina

I'd go green on the skirting boards too.

• C D

What about painting it all green? Walls ceiling and skirting? It may make the room more coherent

• Emma G

I can’t wait to see this room once it’s done!

Fable & Willow

I think warm woods and aged brass can really lift a scheme like this and look great ! I would paint the skirting boards the same colour as it will lengthen the height of the wall.

• R Bolton

Love it Tim! I’ve got a dark green kitchen and box room/office and I love them. I’m going dark green in the bedroom next (it’s currently sage). With warm wood and brass to make it feel even richer. My house is 1980s with textured ceilings too. I think bland boxes like ours really suit stronger colours. Have fun!

• Simon R

Ours is all green. Skirting, walls and ceiling it looks great with our wooden blinds. Also doing your ceiling will hide the textured plaster if that’s your aim. Cheaper too.

• Sonia

What a difference already. Skirting can be white, or the same colour as the walls but you will need paint suitable for wood - Dulux Satinwood or Eggshell.

• kazzh

It's looking great! Congratulations on embracing the strong color. It looks much more restful and embracing than the old lighter wall tone. Your room had the space to take the color but not be closed in by it. I would have needed a nap in the sun too with all the effort!

• Rachel Oakes

This is looking fabulous! I love the trend for darker colours and painted my bedroom a rich Navy recently and it’s so cosy. Well done for being brave!

• helen_rymill

Wow! This looks fabulous. My daughter wants dark green in her room when we move to our new house; I think I’ll go for skirting as well having seen yours, it works really well.

• Carolina

It's a great colour, looks so cosy. Love the chair too. Your 'foreman' will love you for posting a photo of her asleep ;-) Glad you've painted the skirting boards too

• Bianca

Loving the dark walls and skirting boards! I would paint the radiator to match too though. I did that in my kitchen and it made a boring radiator look much better.

• currenrue

why dont you upcycle your dresser to a complete contrast colour.

• Tim Summers

Thanks everyone. Just to answer a couple of specifics: no to painting the radiator, it’s a pet hate of mine having radiators non-white, I don’t know why this is, but I never think that a painted radiator looks nice, besides the wall lights (which I hate, but are keeping for the time being), bedside tables, windows, sills etc are all going to be white, plus the ‘nets’ that we have (not oap nets) are white. I think it’ll all come together when we start bringing things in. The accent colour is going to be pink FYI. Let’s see what that looks like.

upcycle the dresser: great idea, but not really my game if I’m being honest, we’re buying new and moving the dresser into one of the spare rooms. Also, in the wife’s dressing room we have lovely ‘champagne’ colour furniture which we’ll be bringing in, and ordering a 3 size wardrobe. it’ll all match.

so,

The third wall is done,

We were going to do the corridor that leads to the en-suite green, but I’m glad that we’ve decided against it as that would be really gloomy, so we’re stopping the green on the bedroom side and going around the arch.

having a day off tomorrow.

• Tim Summers
    last modified: 25 days ago

Slight change of plan, the up cycling of the dresser has gone down a treat with the mrs so I’m taking down into the garage later for her to do it tomorrow. Sand,stain top, paint bottom the same as furniture in the dressing room - will have to eBay tonight to see if I can get some handles the same as the ones we’re bringing in.

• Sarah U-S

Well done - it’s looking fab!

• jmosedale

In terms of trying out colours, I keep a roll of lining paper always at the ready for when redecorating, so that I can paint two large pieces in the chosen colour and try them all round the room, next to each other in corners and facing as you walk into the room.

• Tim Summers

Bit late now though isn't it :)

• jmosedale

Next time!

• E D

Lol

• stephaniedannhaywood

Looking good, if your not a fan of painting rads what not opt for a rad cover & paint that ? It stands out like a sore thumb IMO

Roscoe Interiors

Rather late in the day, I found your question, and I expect others have made the same comments.
    But anyway, here goes.. I think the room will be able to carry the dark colour, and would benefit from light ash? furniture as contrast will be needed to balance out the dark. Keeping the ceiling and floor light would stop the walls 'coming in on you' too much. Good luck with your project.

• E D
    last modified: 22 days ago

Mosterd na de maaltijd, Roscoe...

Excuse my French. 😄

• Joanna-Marie Llewellyn-Jones

Congratulations for choosing to have a dark painted bedroom. We had the same dilemma last year and decided to jump right in. We love it and have actually found our quality of sleep has improved too with the darkened room.

• Resh

I love green, and it the most utilised colour in our house, although not in our bedroom, which is rose pink with dark green accents. Below you can see a green living room, dark green kitchen - and I even painted the living room stove dark green! Very calming.

• Karen Household

If our don’t like the wall lights paint them green. They will disappear. I was worried the dark walls might pull down the low ceiling, but no, it looks great.

• Wumi

Looks great Tim!! I tend to shy away from dark colours as we've got small rooms but your bedroom can certainly handle it and it looking very sleek especially with the skirting painted the same colour.

With regards to the wall lights, You could switch them out for a brass/copper sconce or wall light that will give out more light and make them a feature in the room. Brass/copper, pink and dark green go quite well together.

How would you feel about a (modern) traditional style radiator in a dark colour? Your current one really stands out against the wall colour. People tend to paint them the same colour as the wall for that reason, but since that's a bugbear, you could change further down the road. Just a suggestion!

• Robin Bell

I’ve joined this late, but I think it looks fantastic! It’s got so much character and is soothing. Our bedroom is dark dark blue and I love it— very restful. It’s great for going to sleep in and waking up in, and your green will be the same— like waking up deep in forest. Good for you! It’s truly impossible to know how you’ll feel until it’s done but you sound happy, and that’s what matters! Good for you for taking the plunge.

• stefanierose

Go dare if you can contrast it with some light/white. My bedroom is dark (Oval Room Blue Farrow and Ball)...it's fab, but we don't have a lot of natural light in the room, which would have been better. It's cosy for sleeping and enveloping.

• Picasso

I love it! Though I do agree that the radiator needs some treatment. My spare room is green and fairly dark though it's wallpapered because I just wallpapered over the previous paper. Removing it may well have required replastering too. It's a lovely design. The furniture is cream or with mirrored doors, which made a big difference and also gave it a full length mirror. When I'm doing stuff in my bedroom which makes it unusable, I sleep in the spare room and love the cocoon effect of it at night. Mind you, I also like coming back to my own light bedroom too!

• Tim Summers

For some reason a previous post didn't 'post' so here is a condensed version as I can't be bothered to write it all again - apologies if it does finally post, but you'll have two versions.

Semi dressed one wall of the room last night to see how it looks.

Really pleased with what it looks like - yes it's only thrown together, but you get the idea. Really pleased I've not touched the radiators, with all the white stuff in the room then I'm more than happy with them staying white.

• Tim Summers

Wardrobe has been ordered - saying dispatched, so hopefully it'll arrive within the next few days. That'll make a massive difference.

Link to wardrobe

• Tim Summers

The wifes "Oh, just move the chest of draws into the garage and I'll do it" has turned into another job for me. But it's all stripped down, and now just waiting on the chalk paint/brushes/wax to be delivered then all will (hopefully) be upcycled to match:

Before (zoomed in and cropped photo as I forgot to take one)

Getting there:

• Tim Summers

As I've done such a good job with the chest of draws, mysteriously a blanket chest has made it's way into the garage to "Do the same to this next"

I'm hesitant as this was given to me about 10/15 years ago from my grandparents house when they died, and I can always remember them having it whilst I was growing up, so it's kinda old.

But neither of us really like it, so if it doesn't get painted and then moved into our room, then it will be taken to the tip and disposed of, which I don't want to happen. So, IMO painting it and subsequently keeping it would be best.

• Holly Grand

It looks very cool! I didn't think it would look so amazing, I like this deep dark green color. I wanted to paint my bedroom in a similar color, but I now hadveno doubts about how it would look.

• Karen Household

Hi, I recently painted a couple of pieces of furniture one of which was an oak 1930’s bookshelf. I hesitated, as it was a present from my sister 40 years ago. So glad I did it as I now love it and it takes pride of place in my garden room. If you decide you aren’t going to bother painting it please don’t take it to the dump. Try Freecycle or Gumtree to avoid it being landfill. I’m sure your grandparents would rather it was used.

• kazzh

Usually I'm a bit of a wood finish person, but if neither of you love it as is then the sentimentalist says paint and keep. It's a good size and looks sturdy - a good blanket box with a cushion atop for a seat! You could be selective on the paint and only do sections, say the body to follow the style of the tall drawers.

• stefanierose

Strip it and paint it. You could have a long cushion made in lovely fabric and double it up as a bench. And I agree...freecycle is a great place to find furniture a new home by someone who will appreciate it.

• Joanna-Marie Llewellyn-Jones

Solid furniture is rare, so this would be well worth the effort. Even a simple change can make the world of difference...sand the top, paint the body, add some brass handles maybe as an accent, add a bench seat as suggested...it would become a statement piece in your room. I’d say go for it, up cycle it and see how you feel about it then. If you still don’t like it, then you can Freecycle/ Gumtree it after.

• Sophie K

Dark green bedrooms are wonderful! I have 3 of them here in different hues: grey-green (Squid Ink by Paper Library), blue-green (Inchyra Ball by F&B), and dark green (Symphony M439 by Tikkurila), which is not dissimilar to the Jotun colour you picked and available in the UK. Nb: I also painted the ceilings with the same colours. I find dark bedrooms so restful and appeasing.
    Unlike most posters, I am not always sold on contrasting light coloured wood with dark wall colours, I prefer either a natural rich wood colour (walnut, rosewood, mahogany or more exotic woods like sapele) or painting units exactly the same shade as the walls - but it’s a question of taste.

Tim Summers thanked Sophie K
  • Tim Summers

The up cycling of the manky old chest of draws has come up a treat. Dead happy with the result !!