abhi1231

open plan design novice in need of help

abhi
3 years ago

Hi All,

I am a newbie to home redesigning and scored an E in anything to do with creativity at school. We are in process of buying this house that we really like. The boss says having an open plan is an absolute must. We had an architect out to see the house and he wasn't sounding too excited after seeing the house..

Some of the not so bright ideas we had was knocking the dining room wall back into the lounge to make the current dining room into lounge and incorporating the remaining old lounge area into kitchen and build an extension at the back of old lounge. The architect said that in this area everyone wants a separate dining room so he advised against it.

The other idea is to push the utility back further back into the garage (the garage is 18'x14'), incorporating the utility downstairs WC and store into kitchen to make it wider, extend the rear of the kitchen a further 5m into the garden. (the garden is 20m Long). The architect said that this would mean that the extension will loom much ahead of the lounge and we possibly will need to have a courtyard but also end up with a much smaller garden. The other problem will be where to place entry into utility from.. We are also planning to build a room above existing utility which he said should be okay (phew.... one thing that he agreed with)

the floor plan and dimensions are as follows

LOUNGE: 22'8" max x 18'0" x 15'8" 22'8" max x 18'0" min x 15'8" max x 13'1" min

DINING ROOM: 15'6" max x 12'6" x 12'6" 15'6" max x 12'6" min x 12'6"

FITTED BREAKFAST KITCHEN: 16'5" max x 10'1" x 12'6" 16'5" max x 10'1" min x 12'6" max x 8'10" min

UTILITY ROOM: 11'2" x 8'3"

the passage way is 4ft wide but can not be incorporated into the property as would give terracing effect (even though the neighbouring property also has a passageway on the same side)

What are your suggestions and ideas?

thanks for helping a clueless soul.

best wishes

Abhi

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.