joaneduk

Kitchen conundrum - eleventh hour wobble!

Joaneduk
3 years ago

Family and friends are 50/50 on this so I’d really appreciate any guidance you can offer before my head explodes! It needs to be ordered in the next few days if I’ve got any chance of being in by Christmas.

Will an island or peninsular look/work better in my open plan flat?

I avoided the standard L-shaped layout as I don’t want to look at a wall of kitchen units from my sofa, plus I would have my back to the sea view from the window and balcony door when in the kitchen area.

The main issue is the sloping ceiling which would partially cut across the 180x120cm island. Any smaller and I would struggle for storage/work surface. There’s enough room to walk all around it, albeit slightly restricted (head swerve if you’re tall) on the slopey side.

Chose matt blue units for the wall as it’s tucked around a corner so would add a bit of interest on walking into the area, with a matt white 4 drawer island (all walls are bright white); both topped with Dekton Orix. Don’t want stools as I need easy access to the drawers and will have stools/bar table by the window (it’s all about the view).

But would a peninsular be the better option? Can fit 200cm length comfortably plus gain an extra 20cm more access space into the area (utility door will not be opening onto fridge/freezer as per plan – inwards now). Can still have up to 120cm depth for drawer storage (not shown on plan) and it would, at its deepest, line up with the beginning of the slope. One teeny-tiny issue is the underfloor heating which has already been installed in line with the island plan; I’m told it’s still do-able but, to my mind, there would be an unheated patch of floor and potentially an overheated patch. Plus the units facing the blue wall may look odd in white as they would now be part of a galley kitchen so that’s another rethink as I don’t want an all blue kitchen.

So many questions, so little time…

Comments (12)

• Victoria
    3 years ago

I know you probably don’t want to hear this, but why isn’t the space under the slope being used for storage? It’s a waste of space otherwise. Seems a very inefficient use of the floor plan. If I had to pick one of your schemes I’d go for the peninsula.

Joaneduk thanked Victoria
  • Joaneduk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There's a wine fridge and wine rack under the slope - set into recesses that have been cut out of the plasterboard Victoria, storage is my middle name 😄

• Victoria
    3 years ago

I meant the whole area under the slope. Not just the boxed in bit. There’s no headroom under most of the slope.

Joaneduk thanked Victoria
  • Joaneduk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I get your point but a storage wall on full view is exactly the look I'm trying to avoid

• minnie101
    3 years ago

The peninsula for me although aesthetically I think the island will look better from the living area (although arguably the peninsular will look better from the bar stool area!).

The peninsular just seems to work practically in terms of circulation space and head height especially if you’re adding a wine fridge. I don’t see why the peninsular would need to be blue though? Are you having an extractor? Maybe you could have the hob off centre and have a pendant at the end?

Joaneduk thanked minnie101
  • Joaneduk
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So visually, even with the slope to one side of it, you think the island could look okay minnie101? No extractor - never use them and don't actually do an awful lot of cooking. I like the idea of the off-centre hob though.

• Mary Ketchley
    3 years ago

I just want to know how you draw these lovely plans Jonathan? I assume it’s professional software?

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

@Mary Ketchley - it’s just a free app on my phone called HouseDesign

• Mary Ketchley
    3 years ago

Thanks, I’ll have a look. I often don’t find these things easy to use.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Did you mean peninsular rather than island re the sloping ceiling? I prefer the peninsular (crudely mocked up!) as visually it doesn’t look like you can walk round the island (well in the render anyway!)

• Victoria
    3 years ago

I didn’t mean a whole storage wall, just making use of space under the slope.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.