rachael_gibson93

Kitchen design missing something.... looking for advice/inspiration!

Rachael Gibson

Hi,

We’ve had a basic design drawn up by a kitchen company for our kitchen extension although I feel it’s lacking something.... The doors to the left will be large sliding doors along the width of the kitchen/diner and the doors to the right won’t be there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Rachael Gibson

Zoomed in on the kitchen plan....

Does this kitchen look like it's missing an island

It's quite hard to tell if an island would fit widthways as it's hard to get a perspective where the supporting column is to the left of the kitchen unless you had a really short one. It also doesn't look as if one could run the other way as I'm not sure you could swing the table around and the benches in the living area appear to be built in so you may be limited on a reshuffle? I'm not sure if you're tiling behind the hob but wonder if you'd consider putting a runner in front of the oven? Lovely room btw

Thoughts please! Could this look work with my final kitchen design?

Ikea Kitchens are excellent, the attention to quality is superb. Lots of suppliers only offer doors in particular sizes, which is why when you go to an appointment at Wickes for example and you then take it to Howdens, they often have to swap the cabinets around as they don't all do all the sizes. Factoring in that you may want to change the doors in a few years at this point is in my opinion daft. You buy a kitchen and it should last 10-15 years. Magnet and Howdens offer great kitchens too. However, I have personal experience of fitting an Ikea Kitchen last year and was very impressed. I've used Howdens several times too. There are many companies however, that offer custom sizes when ordering replacements such as Kitchen door workshop and Kitchen Door Outlet to name but two. Saying that you can't replace the doors, just simply isn't accurate.

To extend or not to extend…? Advice and inspiration please.

The budget is big enough to do something lovely so don't be downhearted. Looking at the plans, I feel that the store and office being connected to the house could be the key to unlocking the house. I think move Bedroom 2 into the office with door where the 4.1 arrow is. The store becomes your second toilet accessed with a door by 2.5 arrow. Bedroom two can now have utility units along the external wall, hidden by bi-folding doors so it is like a wide corridor rather than a back route. Perhaps even put a door to separate the bedroom wing to the rest of the house. Boys can walk around in their unmentionables and you can still have guests over! You've definitely got space in your current bedroom to fit an ensuite if you wanted if the toilet waste can link in (or mascinator but perhaps noisy for bedroom) Finally, knock down the current dining room and build it the full width of the kitchen and sitting room. The sitting room can extend into it but keep the dividing wall if you want to keep it separate, leaving you a large kitchen/diner. I feel this would be very cost effective but hopefully give you the home you dream of. I'd love to help you more, feel free to get in touch if you want to talk any more ideas over or if you want me to clarify anything. I don't just design kitchens, I can help with the whole house layout if you wanted to see it drawn up, I love projects like this 😊 Emily x

Advice on small kitchen design - brain stuck

@Maggie Youngson I was happy with price and time frame. I live in a 1930s semi so walls are lat and plaster, was a messy job. All walls had to be boarded and plastered before units were fitted, the angular parts were custom built. Electrics had to be fitted and the floor matched in with rest of hall and then he painted walls before finishing. I’ve used this joiner many times before and he always does an excellent job
  • Rachael Gibson

Thank you so much for your comment! Strangely enough I said that to my husband. I feel that the tall units are a bit overbearing in that corner too. And a great point re the sink with two kids 👍🏻

• cazsf

Not the same architecture, but I like how the tall units ground the space. We did not, however, leave quite enough room between the sink and the end wall for the drainer AND the coffee machine, so the drainer ended up on the patch between the sink and the oven - I would not do this again. Looks like you have plenty of room in your plan, though!

• cazsf

We have oak shelves in gap, now 👍

colourhappy

I would keep the bank of tall units and lose the rest of the upper cupboards (the white ones). The space left would balance the tall units. Some people can't live without upper cupboards for practical reasons, some prefer to have none at all and like open shelves.

I would also swap the tall bank to the current sink position. I think the pinch point by the corner of the island seems tight. Personally I think the microwave is too high and would hide it on the island. I personally think the space for three stools is tight and I would find somewhere else for the cookbooks. Personally I prefer the overhang of breakfast bars to look supported as it looks more expensive.
    As far as wall cabinets I prefer either none or fewer for an unfitted look. Consider just having wall cabinets either side of the extractor.
    Lastly colour- consider having more white and then painting some walls blue

• ofabat

The space between the hob cabinets and the island seems quite narrow?!

• oddjob99
    last modified: last month

If there are 4 of you, you need 4 bar stools. We have a similar set up and have 2 at the top and 2 at the side. We can all eat there, see each other and look out at the garden through the bi-folds. You may need to adjust the island but it is worth doing.

Also have enough space by the sink out of main sight for all the dirty plates etc waiting to be loaded in the dishwasher. There is always clutter around the sink so I chose to have ours tucked at the side like you. .

EDIT. Just noticed you have a utility room, we put our microwave in the utility room as we don't use it that much and it creates more space in the kitchen, plus they are pretty ugly :-).

• Ellie

To me it looks like the kitchen company have tried to squeeze in as many units as they can simply for sales. I don't like the wall units, the tall ones are fine Its the white ones that frame the hob/sink - I find them really old fashioned looking in what is a modern kitchen. Do you really need every one of those wall units? Count how many units you currently have that are full and only put in what you need.

• nitaneat
    last modified: last month

Quality-looking kitchen, but I think maybe less is more. Ideas:

• Remove wall-hung cupboards
    • Move full length cupboards and ovens to wall where sink is now
    • Use new, open wall space for shelving, mirrors, etc - maybe some great tiling?
    • Move sink to newly clear, long counter space to left of hob
    • Move island slightly nearer bifold doors (to allow circulation space where ovens will now be)
    • Ideally, allow island counter overhang on 3 sides for greater flexibility (back to bifold doors, facing long wall, facing bifold doors)
    • Don't know if the dining table is actual or example, but I think the overall space is crying out for a pop of contrast colour and/or texture (like the folks with the bright bar stools have). Maybe use the dining furniture as your opportunity to do this? Defo looks like some copper would work. Great tiling on the long wall is an option too.
    • Lastly, the blue is fab, but swapping that colour for a now bigger wall space rather than the units (which could be white) could be more flexible.

Will you share a shot of the finished article?

• Tim Baker

Absolutely Ellie stuffed full of high margin cabinets and the sink tucked away in a corner so as not to spoil the lines in the visuals. If you are any sort of cook put the sink on the island.

Don't know how far you have got with your project but looks like a wrap around extension. From what I can see you have 3 doors to your utility room but not one from your kitchen. I think your family room will become a corridor. Also taking out the entire corner of the house is structurally the most expensive option. If it's not too late I'd have another look at the plans.

• Sarah

One other point about moving the tall units to the narrow wall - you could fit a large full-height pantry into the corner. If you make it with a fairly narrow door on the angle between the two runs of units, you will be able to fit an astonishing amount of stuff in there! Check out pinterest and such for built in corner larders (eg this one)

• mulberryint12

Good morning

I agree with the 1st comment

Tall units on the RH run, wall to wall with the micro at worktop height over a corner base unit on the RH end of the long run ( cooking appliances should never be above shoulder height of the user & microwaves are all LH hinged, so the door in your situation will open towards the wall giving easy access with worktop in front )

Perhaps put the hob centred on the island with either a downdraft, ceiling or hanging extractor

Centre the sink on the long wall to align with the centre of the hob

4 stools require a minimum of 60cm per person in a straight line ( 240cm required for 4 )

Wall units are practical for Tea, coffee, sugar, everyday cups, mugs & glasses & any wall unit shelf is only reachable without steps to the users height

So I would suggest wall units both ends & a shallower shelf spanning the space between & perhaps a TV above for breakfast bar viewing

Hope this helps

Keith

Gvega Cerámica

We make beautiful handmade tiles for statement kitchen backsplashes... www.gvega.com

• Katie Duke

Hi Racheal - I agree with other comments re switching round the tall cupboards to the sink wall and then removing some (all!) of the wall hung cabinets. That's my prejudice against wall cabs coming out!! Definitely investigate tall and/or larder cabinet I think you will get a huge amount in there.

Re sink space and clutter I agree with other comments re moving sink to the window end or island and you could maybe consider a double sink to allow you hide either the drainer or dirty stuff waiting to be washed.

One last suggestion (again based on my prejudices re stools round an island when the table is literally behind you) If you lost the stools on the 'outside edge' of the island you could put in some drawers for crockery/serveware. Has the advantage of stopping people coming into the cooking area to get bits and bobs and helps with table laying and reduces need for wall hung cabinet space.

Good luck with the project it looks like a great kitchen space

• Katie Duke

Also you could consider having the dishwasher in the island, so it'd be close to the table for loading and then be unloaded directly into crockery drawers!

• mulberryint12

Hi

Keith again

By putting sink in island, you are placing the messiest item in the centre of room

Better off with Induction hob on island

• Ellie

Agree about not having sink in island. To me a sink is dirty and where mucky things ate washed..... An induction hob however looks smart.

• Rachael Gibson

Thanks so much for all of your advice, much appreciated. So, based on the suggestions/advice:

• The design does have a large larder in the corner to the right of the sink but this pic doesn’t show it unfortunately
    • The comments re the wall cabinets - I see where you’re coming from. Initially I was against shelves because of the extra need for dusting etc but think it would look much better 👍🏻
    • There are four of us and I mentioned having two stools round the long side and short side rather than all on one length to the kitchen designer
    • Good shout re the overhang on three sides too. I’m undecided about putting either a cooker or sink on the island as I really like the idea of keeping it clear but then I’ve never had one before..... plus we’re having a large rectangular sky light (if that’s what they’re called) so not sure how that’d work with an extractor?
    • The gap between the cooker and island will be bigger I just don’t think it’s shown very well on their diagram. That said, I like the idea of moving it more towards the bifolds 👍🏻
    • The table and chairs have been put in the from the designers template I think. Personally, I wouldn’t go for those!
    • My thoughts are to keep the dining table for family dinners, entertaining etc and the island/breakfast bar for when the kids are eating, coffee, breakfast etc
    • No door from the kitchen to the utility which has been playing on my mind but if we do have one, we’ll loose space on the short wall - any thoughts on this?
    • We did think of an American fridge freezer to break it up a bit but the storage isn’t as great I’ve been told, unless we have a smaller one in the utility

The extension doesn’t start until Jan so we’ve got time to change it. Never had any building work done before, let alone a new kitchen so it’s a big project for us!

Thanks again for the comments. My husband just rolled his eyes when I said about changing things.... again!

• oddjob99

I hear you!!! I also changed mine around but you have to get it right or it will bug you forever.

I'm with you- I don't have sink or hob on the island as I want it free to use as a surface and just look at your sink now - surrounded by 'stuff' and everything on the island would be wet. It's just not practical for us in a working kitchen with kids! We also have a skylight above too.

I personally wouldn't have open shelves for the exact same reason - too much dust. But I have up and over top cupboards which are not as imposing.

We don't have a door to the utility, it is just along the hallway and it isn't a problem. I didn't want to forgo kitchen space.

We just have a full height integrated fridge and it's fine for our family of 4.

Just try different designs and see what suits your needs best.

• minipie

We have a very similar space to yours I think, here is our kitchen in case it helps. We have doors on the left (like yours) just out of picture.

Like *cazsf* we have all the tall units on the short wall and around the corner. (The white pillar is structural). We have no corner unit in the corner, we added that corner space to the utility room behind instead.

We have our hob on the island with extractor above, our skylight is not above the island but above the walkway between the island and wall run.

Door to the utility is just outside the kitchen door, visible on the right hand side of the photo. This works fine as I mainly use that room for laundry not kitchen related stuff anyway, NB this door location means we can cut out laundry noise by closing both the utility and the kitchen door - one door alone would not cut out all the noise at high spin.

By the way I believe you actually get better space in an American fridge freezer compared with an integrated one. Integrated fridge freezers have to be shallower so that they are the same depth as cabinets even with a door stuck on the front. Guess it depends on the exact brands though. Highly recommend a small overflow freezer in the utility in any case.

• Lucy Buck
    last modified: 29 days ago

My kitchen is similar to yours, I hate high cupboards, but had to get some this time or I wouldn’t have had enough space.but I am disappointed not to get open shelves again as I love the look. I hate sinks on the island too,

like someone already said, with a family, you always have something sitting there making it look messy. i Have a larder cupboard in one corner, I just lots the amount I can get in it. I have integrated fridge and freezer, so not to spoil lines, and My old American style one in the garage.

OnePlan

Time is on your side - so spend it well, working with a designer on this until you get it just right. If you have a designer onboard from a showroom, book a design time slot to thrash out all of the areas. Or consider an independent designer ( like us for example ) who’s sole focus is getting the design right for you. (Then you shop around with the design to get quotes) it’s a good size space - which means a large investment in the furniture... which means getting it wrong will be expensive!!

• Sarah

Rachael - re your comment about an American style fridge freezer. If you have the space in the utility room for secondary fridge/freezer space, go for it. Then you can get whatever will work well in the kitchen area without concerns about it being large enough. I have an (old) fridge in the garage, which is switched on for Christmas and parties, and is an absolute godsend.

And the sink... I made the mistake of getting a 'trendy' sink (Mythos, in case anyone wonders). Don't be me. The bowl is too small; I would be much better off with a large bowl rather than the one and a half that I have. (A washing up bowl may not look elegant, but it is really much more useful.) And watch out for narrow radius corners and ledges on the sink, as they are hell to keep clean. When I can afford to get mine redone, I am going for one like this.

• mulberryint12

Keith

Refrigeration solutions

a) Tall integrated larder fridge with internal top freezer box + integrated undercounter freezer

b) 90 cm integrated fridge freezer from Liebherr 0r Fischer Paykel ( housings not required )

c) American - BUT Potential problems

1. Doors will have to protrude forward by their thickness of up to 7cm

2. doors need to open beyond 90 degrees to access internal pull-outs by 30 to 40 cm

3. Opening the doors beyond 90 degrees you have to be careful of projecting oven handles

from ovens in adjacent units

Option 1 is probably the best, leaving more tall unit space to incorporate a larger larder, perhaps a double door pantry

Corner larder not a good idea, as it closes down the floor space & gives smaller access

Sink

The largest item to clean is a baking rack from the oven, So the sink bowl should be 50 x 40cm

minimum to lay the tray or rack in the bottom to clean in one go

Best materials for looks & cleaning are Cast Iron or Ceramic, textured sinks such as '' Granite ''

or Quartz are durable but the texture makes them harder to clean, Stainless is hard to keep looking nice & the base will scratch unless the manufacturers have bottom of bowl rack available

to protect it

Do not use a plastic washing up bowl, it will get imbedded with grit from vegetables & scratch any sink badly with the weight of water in it & the moving around

All for now

Keith

• Picasso

A friend has open shelves in her kitchen and everything is always dirty. She is planning to remove them. Unless you're really good at cleaning and have lots of time, I wouldn't. If you go for wall cupboards, ensure they go right up to the ceiling so that you don't have to clean above them. You can put things not often used up there or overflow supplies and get a small stepladder for access. In my first flat, which had quite high ceilings, I had a small gallery kitchen and added high level wall cupboards at one end which gave me much needed space. You can also store things which aren't heavy on shelves which you can just reach, using a filing tray (mine had plastic boxes in it) or old fridge veg drawers or similar so you just remove the whole tray/drawer when you want to access the contents.

• Picasso

Just a comment on one of Keith's ideas. I think it's a good plan to think about what you'd use your sink for, but remember that baking racks can be put in the dishwasher (and any dirt left on removed easily after the dishwasher has done its best), or Lakeland used to sell (and may still do) a large flat plastic box precisely for that purpose. (It's also great for putting under the radiator when you are draining it prior to removing it for decorating!)

• nitaneat

Good point re open shelves - I would use them for decor, not for frequently used functional items as you'd be forever cleaning them.

• buchanar

Try adding wood effect tiles as the splash back to introduce some softness and warmth. Looks a bit cool/hard at the moment as it’s on the cool colour spectrum. If you link it with an oak table it all starts to make sense.

• NZ

Hi, Have a play on some design apps, with your basic walls in place. We came up with a few layouts and shuffled things around - moving island/appliances/ doors/ windows. They give you a really good idea of how you will move about in your kitchen and from different perspectives . We are happy we did all this before the builder started.

• Vicky Mallinson
    last modified: 26 days ago

We chose to put our sink in our island as it was the best place for it. Our island is very long so it can accommodate the sink on one end with a clear space on the other end for seating - I am personally very against having a hob in the island as it will send splatters of hot oil etc. across the island and people (kids) sitting there. I also think the current trend for open shelves is odd - I always think they just end up looking cluttered (beyond the perfected curated pages of houzz), and everything will get dusty and oily if near the hob.

One thing that we did in our kitchen was include a defined tiled area around the island - I love it and everyone comments on it. It may help add that little bit of extra in your design.

(please ignore 1) our bar stools - we still need to get 2 more! and 2) the hole on the left where our broken wine fridge is waiting to be replaced!)

• Marianne Astill

Add plants too!

• viv holliday
    last modified: 23 days ago

I'm no expert in kitchen design. However, I'm wondering why you need a breakfast bar in the middle of your kitchen.

it's expensive, and would look better with a nice table and chairs.

Chefs, like to show off their culinary skills on TV, and I think that's where kitchen islands originated from.

If you like to entertain, even if it's only once a year you will need all the space you can get.

• viv holliday

Invest in a dishwasher, halogen/ceramic hob, and other energy saving appliances. It'll be worth it.

• Belinda Chandler

Is the fridge next to the ovens or on the other wall? It seems a long way to walk to make a cup of tea. Or get things washed quickly. Also the sink tends to be where lots of prep revolves in our house, washing and peeling, draining pans, filling kettles etc This design scheme seems to have made it rather inaccessible.