stacey_smithbeaman

Completely lost - how to get the right configuration?!

Our first rennovation
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I recently came across the forums here, and well... I am obsessed!! I have gained so many great ideas from design to layout. But I am now taking the plunge and here's my first post, as I. Need. Help!

So we are in the process of purchasing an already heavily extended home. As an FYI the ground floor previously had a double garage (where dining/utility now are) with nothing behind it, and the kitchen ran from behind the hallway to the lounge (the entire old back wall).

My dream layout is to have a kitchen that allows for U shaped kitchen, an island with seating, a dining table and space for comfy seating. At the moment if feels like the current floor plan would be a bit cramped to allow for that, therefore, options we are considering are...

Option 1 - shown with green lines

Make a T shape and knock through utility walls and dining room wall

Option 2 - show with blue lines

Make an L shape and knock through (and convert) garage - possible challenge on planning for this one as don't think we would get permission to formally change purpose of garage and get a window

Option 3 - shown with red lines

Knock garage, utility and dining room into kitchen for one massive space - this feels like it would just be too big?!

Option 4 - shown with yellow lines

Extension. Unsure about planning constraints with this one, and feels like it might be the most costly.

... or of course are are missing the point and current floorplan would allow for all we're looking for?!

We are completely new to any kind of renovation / design work - honestly the most ever done is redecorate a home... So any tips, concerns, opinions would be really appreciated!!

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.