karty11

Should I keep original internal doors?

karty11
3 years ago

Hi. I wanted some advice on internal doors. I recently bought a 1930’s house that needs a complete renovation. I am pretty sure the doors are original and I would like to keep them if possible (see photos). I have contractors coming in to do the work and because they have layers of paint on them, are (slightly?) damaged in places and with old handles/locks, they are adamant they should be replaced with new ones. What are peoples’ views on this? Is it worth keeping them? I looked into having them stripped and it seems quite reasonable (around £20-30 per door) but if I do that is it a)ok to fit them to new door frames? b) how easy is it to fill the gaps/fix the damage?

and c) would it then be possible to replace the handles and/or locks? Would be grateful for any advice. I am really keen to keep the character of the house and want a traditional feel. Thanks!

Comments (61)

• E D
    3 years ago

Now that’s a ‘typical’ 1930s door!

I think it looks lovely as it is, Sonia. 👌

What colour would you consider for it?

• CWD
    3 years ago

Definitely keep. We got ours dipped and stripped and then husband sanded and varnished (or maybe oiled) them with matte clear finish - they have gaps in places where the panel is just one layer of thin wood, but they add so much original character and are MUCH nicer than anything new - unless you spend £££ on new solid wood properly made doors (most people do not do this). My husband also kept all the original brass hinges and handles and cleaned them up and they're all perfectly imperfect. We kept most of the original openings and trim work too - just sanded and re-painted. We moved one door so the builders had to build a new opening for that one, but it's seamless and you can't tell new from old unless you really look at them. Only word of caution is if you are converting loft then you'll probably end up having to get new doors (or modify old ones) as old one won't meet fire regulations - but not an issue if not extending into loft.

• Related Discussions

Original fireplace - replace or keep?

Q

Comments (45)
    Looking at room freshly plastered I think the walls might look best a colour the same “strength” or depth of colour as the plaster if you know what I mean?? Whether it’s a peachy dirty pink or green or dusky blue?? Looking forward to seeing how this room turns out :)
    ...See More

Should I paint an internal door Matt black?

Q

Comments (8)
    It’s ‘eggshell’, so it has a subtle sheen which I think works really well with timber doors. The colour is Farrow and Ball’s Off Black. I would advice against a pure black (if there’s such a thing...) which can look too stark. Are you considering other colours for your doors as well as (near) black?
    ...See More

Internal door- Can I make it a sliding door?

Q

Comments (6)
    For anyone else reading this thread, you can now get aluminium internal sliding doors either frame or surface fixed. These come fully glazed, in the steel look and even as frameless glass sliding doors. Happy to help with product advice and suppliers if you'd like to get in touch. Hope this helps Kind regards, Nick
    ...See More

Advice appreciated - should I keep or change this wall colour?

Q

Comments (15)
    Thanks for replies, didn't get any notifications so just reading them now. Think the horrible old doors definitely aren't helping just now so good other people think that could be skewing my view of the paintwork. We are waiting for our joiner to have the time to come out and put new doors/skirtings/facing in. That's another decision I'm trying to make - either all white doors and woodwork or white doors and woodwork same colour as walls to increase feeling of ceiling height, or oak doors similar colour to floor with white woodwork or the black modern doors that are in just now? Too much choice 🤯 Good to know people think it will tie together OK once better doors etc in though. I see now from a couple of pics what people were saying earlier about a blue/grey on the wall. The blue/grey in some of the pics is actually F and B All White in dining area but with the lights off. It does actually look pretty good against the sofa. The previous owners had the arch wall in the living painted as a feature wall but because the room is long and narrowish I though that it just emphasised this but maybe I would be better to put a darker colour on the arch wall and radiator wall to lift the couch and balance the room? Although we still have half the house to do so sure my partner would rather we worked with the room as it is! Thanks for reading my ramblings if you've got this far 😆
    ...See More
  • Sonia
    3 years ago

E D I’m thinking Pigeon. I’m just mad about greens and blues, and I have far too much time on my hands looking at what could be painted! However, I do quite like it’s wooden cosiness.

• E D
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That’s funny. I’m considering Pigeon too. Some (communal) woodwork and front door is already in Pigeon.

Just wondering if it will look good with our Skimmed Stone walls.

• Sarah U-S
    3 years ago

Colourwidedesign - even with a loft conversion, there are things that you can do to keep the original doors!

I live in a conservation area and despite having rooms in the attic, when we redesigned the space, we had to comply with the latest building regs. The local building control person at the council was super useful - we ended up putting a special veneer in the panels to convert to ensure they met the fire regs. The product was fab - you can’t tell that it’s there at all. I also used a special paint on a different type of door to bring that up to standard.

• CWD
    3 years ago

Sarah U-S - yes That’s what I meant by modifying the old ones, although not up to date on exact details.

• macbroom
    3 years ago

What do you all think about either keeping or replacing this groovy Flemish glass door? We have replaced it with the Edwardian style door below (still needs painted) as I think it’s too much with the Flemish glass window too. I like the window and think it is part of the original 1908 cottage but I think the glass door is a step too far! It’s still sitting against the wall as my husband can’t bear to part with it and wants to put it back on. It does let more light in from the hall to the kitchen and it’s kind of growing on me too - so bad it’s almost good! The rest of downstairs doors have been replaced with the Edwardian style one.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all. Thanks so much for your comments. I am going to do some more research Re cost and then make a final decision. I don’t mind if the cost of restoring ends up being a little bit more than getting new doors. I like the idea of the chrome handles to give a modern twist. I want to keep key original features and charm of the house but definitely don’t want it looking like a museum! Final question - is it possible to do a similar thing with existing dado rail? See picture. Again it’s a bit damaged and painted over a million times. Any opinions on the paint too?! I want a strong colour on the bottom half then a lighter shade above the rail. I have a beautiful reclaimed mahogany parquet for the flooring.

• nmlondon
    3 years ago

when we bought our 30s house it came with the original pine doors that were dipped. They are all warped and flimsy and look like they shrunk.. I think, but not too sure, that the dipping also altered the lock area of the door, the locks and handles that they put back on are not fitting properly anymore.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Interesting, so you wouldn’t recommend then?

• carocat24
    3 years ago

Keep, no question.

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Dipping can weaken the joints but if you have a jointer refitting tgem after they can fix them. Separately some old doors have warped over the years usually because the house had periods of being very cold.
    If you have a warped door then you need to either live with it or replace them.
    Since these doors were designed to be painted I’m not convinced they look nice dipped and would repaint them which begs the question of whether it’s worth dipping them.

• nmlondon
    3 years ago

Karty11, In my case, I don’t think I would, I also find them quite flimsy, thin. But, on the other hand, I guess it would be cheaper if our carpenter just replaced the locks/ironmongery and I prep, prime and paint, there are 6 doors though.
    Jonathan’s last comment made me think - two doors upstairs weren’t dipped and stripped by the previous owners. When I had the decorator over to paint the entire upstairs, he painted the doors and they look great. However there was a lot of prep work involved. A lot.

• sksj1
    3 years ago

KEEP THEM. The builders just want you to fit new ones as it’s easier/quicker for them. Bit of elbow grease to sand and fill the holes then paint and fit new posh ironmongery with the money (and planet) you saved.

• ebony45
    3 years ago

Have you thought about having just one door stripped and seeing how that one is? Then you would have evidence to base your decision on.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Jonathan, nmlondon, thanks. Definitely food for thought. I feel like the doors are quite solid and heavy so I think it might worth a shot (depending on cost- which I still need to look in to). I do want them painted but I dont think they’re in good enough condition to do that so I thought dipping them would be easier.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sksj1 I thought that might be part of the builders’ reasoning! Thanks for the advice.

• Picasso
    3 years ago

Keep them. I have a 1930s house without the original doors. The previous owners put in those horrible fake wood veneer flat doors which I've replaced. The new doors look great but each time I see original doors I wish my house had them!

• Tim Baker
    3 years ago

If you keep the doors don't change the door casings (frames). New doors and casings will function best as all will be square. If you prefer the aesthetic of original you will have to accept a level of imperfection.

• HU-77161824
    3 years ago

Hi if your looking at glass then I would highly recommend Knowsley art glass I used them to replace some glass in my internal doors. They do lots of original glass designs.

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

I dropped off my 1950s house original panelled doors (I think) to be dipped and stripped yesterday. Reading this has made me worry though as I didn't mark which door went where...! They had horrible too-small brass lever handles on them all so I'll replace those but not sure with what.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Josephine, would be great to see a before and after of your doors. I am sure they will be fine.

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You've actually highlighted that I didn't take a before photo. Doh! This should give some idea though

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

sorry, it's not letting me post a photo for some reason?

• Sonia
    3 years ago

The App will now only let you load one photo at a time when it used to be four. It chucks you out if you try to. Don’t ask me why. Who the hell does their IT?

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh that’s annoying. Is it possible to post more than one of you try through the website? The settings might be different.

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

I was on my phone - as that's where all the photos are! Now trying through my laptop...

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

ooh, I think it worked! I'm renovating the whole house...hence the mess! They'll take 2 weeks to be done but I'll try to remember to post an after pic :)

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah amazing, yes would love to see them after they have been stripped. Are you painting or varnishing them? I am also doing a whole house renovation. It’s a lot of work!!

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

I'm doing as little as I can to them 😂 and yes, it's a huge amount of work. How far in are you? I've had it nearly a month and it looks like a building site but hopefully have turned a corner now...

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I haven’t even started yet. Hopefully will in the next few weeks. Any tips??? I’ve got like 100 design questions I’m probably going to post on here so any advice would be much appreciated!

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

I've been posting a few! Tips...? Think about the order you do things - I ended up getting rooms skimmed way too quickly so the electrics can't be chased in easily now. Not a massive issue but annoying. I'd also try not to tackle the whole house at once next time as it's a tad overwhelming. Especially as I'm on my own and doing a lot of it myself... Good luck!

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah ok, I’ll keep an eye out for your posts. I am getting a contractor in to do all the major work, the whole house needs Replumbing, rewiring, Replastering, but trying to do bits and pieces where I can and my parents are helping me too. The house is currently unliveable (im staying with my parents) so I do have to do it all in one go really as it doesn’t make sense to do it but by bit but I’m sure I’ll get there in the end!

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

Same as me then - I'm not living there and have a month to get it liveable 😬 it was wallpapered everywhere so I just went for it with the stripping! I'm hoping I'll get there in the end...!

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

Oh god I've fallen down a rabbit hole of what door furniture to put on my doors :o

Have you thought about that yet? I think I prefer knobs... I gave all the brass old lever handles to the scrap metal merchant this morning so there's no going back!

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I also prefer door knobs over handles. So one of the comments above suggested chrome rim locks. I had a look on eBay for these and I think that’s what I’m going to go for as they are also the same style of handles currently on the door. I also saw this beehive style knob which I really like. See pictures.

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

Ooh I like the second ribbed one. But your property is victorian isn't it? Whereas mine is 1950s so I'm not sure if it would look a bit odd?

I realised that my current rented place has wooden doors and when I paid attention noticed the handles are brass lever style...! But nicer than the ones I've removed at least!

• Tim Baker
    3 years ago

https://images.app.goo.gl/rTyTV3ro2huMecV26

These are typical 50s handles. Imo not nice. I'd go with a handle you like.

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

Just had a quick look on ebay - they're really expensive! I've got 5 doors... :o

• PRO
    Sara Slade Interiors
    3 years ago

Sorry I haven't read the comments (too many) but if you are considering keeping them, I'd send them off and get them dipped. If they come back in one piece then go from there. It may be they come back with a lot of damage, some panels may need to come out - but you can always update with fluted glass panels etc. If they come back and were full of filler etc and bad condition then sand, fill, sand again and paint a dark shade. You can make them look beautiful if you want to. It may be they come back in good condition! In which case you can stain and keep natural. I'd probably replace all the hardware though.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Sara, really helpful

• Josephine Scott
    3 years ago

Back again as my doors are back @karty11 they look okay but I've decided to paint them as they look a bit plywood looking in the panels. Photo attached hopefully

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks. Great to see. Yes agree probably best to paint given they are not the same colour. I will post a pic of mine once I get them done.

• Sam Potter
    3 years ago

Definitely keep them. new ones won't look as good.

• davidjackson20
    3 years ago

You're lucky - they are in decent condition - I'd keep them. I couldn't keep mine as they were in bad shape, so opted for some new DX30's style glazed doors - our old ones didn't have glass but they have made a massive difference. It was worth the compromise.

I don't agree with some of the comments about new ones. You'll still retain the characterful look if you need to have new doors.

• karty11
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks David. I’m going to get the stripped soon with a dado rail too so will post the results on here. I will have to get a couple of new doors as all the ones I had weren’t in good enough quality to be stripped.

• E D
    3 years ago

I suspect David’s messages are spam, disguised as advice.

• davidjackson20
    3 years ago

E D - spam? I've merely pointed out a range of doors and my opinion on negative comments about if they need replacing - which surely I am allowed?

• E D
    3 years ago

Time will tell.

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.