webuser_533609

Extend kitchen in to car port, merge kitchen and dining room, or move?

Ros Galpin
3 years ago

Hi,

I’m after some advice if possible.
My husband and I bought our 1929 flat roofed Art Deco semi in 2016. We love it, but the location could be better (busy road, lack of community feel) and the lay out could be better
(galley style kitchen). Neither of these things were too much of a problem when we bought it as we didn’t have children.
Now we have twin toddlers and the lack of any open plan element is starting to grate. As is the lack of community around us.
However, there are many pluses to the house. If we could create something open plan ourselves, maybe that would be enough- in 1-2 years we should have the funds to do this.
If we did do it, would it be possible to extend in to a car port, which has a first floor extension above it? Realise this would be costly as assume it’s a load bearing wall. Possibly more costly than the value it is likely to add? Buuuut. We’d be able to keep a separate dining room and living room.
Or, better to merge dining room and kitchen, extending only a little, in to the porch off the back of the dining room. We’d then lose the separate dining room, but it would be cheaper than the other option.
Or do we cut our losses and move to a better location in an almost definitely (in our opinion) less appealing house, that may have an open plan element. Obviously we bought just before the Brexit vote and then had twins, so we’ve not had a chance to increase the value much.

I don’t think anyone can really tell us what we should do, but any useful opinions about the kitchen options would be very gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Ros

Ps. Have attached pics of car port (behind the gate), kitchen and dining room.

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.