michelle_jefferson4

Most effective extension?

Michelle Jefferson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi All, we moved into our three bedroom detached house 8 years ago which we love for it's character and location. It's not massive and we are becoming more aware of this as our family is growing. We did explore adding a 2 storey extension replacing the old detached garage, but (I think given that we are wanting to build downhill and drainage is on this side of the house), building quotes were just beyond what we wanted to spend. Now, faced with a hideous extension next door on that same side that we want to block from our view, and the prospect of working from home indefinitely, we are opening up ideas about a single storey extension for a dining / play space and a sort of granny flat/ office space. We have proportionately quite a large garden for the house, but the ideas we have considered so far either take up a lot of the garden, or are less practical. Has anyone got any ideas? Attached are the existing plans as they were when we looked at the 2 storey extension idea, but since then we have knocked through the kitchen and dining room to be a kitchen diner. Trying desperately to not spend another £2k on plans and permission that doesn't materialise. Plans in comments. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Comments (13)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.