adedayo_akintola

Design Dilemma. Layout and utility/ extension

Adedayo Akintola
3 years ago

We are putting an extension in our new home to incorporates a new kitchen, dining and living area with utility.

The current design is to block off some part of the current kitchen to create a new utility room with a door leading into the new kitchen extension, leaving the current Kitchen as an office or a play room.

Although, we need a utility room but I am having a second thought about making the current kitchen smaller, I think it will make the room too small to either be a proper office or playroom. I am also concerned that the utility room is probably too far from the garden and the kids will have to come in with their muddy boots/shoes straight into the kitchen area before walking to the utility area to take shoes off.

Therefore, I am thinking of creating a utility room within the proposed extension but I am concerned that it will not look good and will reduce the space for an Island and dining space and kitchen cabinetry. Also, I don't want the only door leading into the kitchen area is from the current living room, I would like to be able to access the kitchen from other part of the house. Therefore, I am thinking of having a door access from the existing kitchen into the new extension without using the room as a utility room?

I need a small door leading to the garden area without having to open the main sliding door
Can anyone see any ideas to what we could do with the layout and design?

Existing Ground floor plan

Proposed ground floor plan

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.