leonie_hodge

Can I fit in a table and an island in our farmhouse kitchen

We live in a very old English Farmhouse and I am trying to work out if I can change my kitchen (on a tiny budget!) to give me more cooking space as I'd like to teach one on one cooking lessons and an island in particular would make that easier. At the moment we have the traditional set up of a farmhouse table in the middle of the room, but it is to low to cook at and surrounded by chairs. I am wondering if I can fit a table in the corner and also have farmhouse style island, or if with the sink and the island all the spaces will get too tight and the kitchen will suddenly seem crowded. I can't move the Aga or anything, so it's really just a case of possibly turning some of the corner cupboards into a bench seat and moving the sink along the wall. I need to be able to still seat 6 adults comfortably at the table.

The alternative would be to have a counter height table in the middle of the kitchen that the chairs tuck under so it works as an island and a table, but is it ever possible to be comfortable for a long period of time at counter height, especially if the chairs aren't very high backed?? Would appreciate any thoughts from those great at visualisation and space!