hzdeleted_48380895

Planting/design advice - what would you do?

User
3 years ago

Hi all

I'd like to canvas views on what to do with these mature hawthorns. I'm in the process of re-designing and re-planting our garden with a woodland-edge theme. We're lukcy to have a number of hawthorns already and they will mostly be remaining.

However, they are quite dominant and the layout does not look...right, currently for the size of the space. There is a gap between 4 and 5 which interrupts the flow and they are in danger of swamping other areas e.g. the young crab apple tree on the right hand side.

I've numbered them 1 to 5 in the photos.

How would you tackle these from a design perspective? It's a west facing wall in a fairly small garden. Current options are:

1. Remove 2 or 3, leaving a few trees with equal gaps in between (other plants can infill those gaps)

2. Add another between 4 and 5, though that could look a bit odd to have "hedging" along only 75% of the border

3. Leave them completely alone and work around them

4. leave just one or 2 and let them grow as feature trees (Maybe 2 and 4, or 3/5 only)

What would you do?! I've been trying to make my mind up for a long time....

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.