seattlegirl

Furnishing/Decorating Open Plan New Build

seattlegirl
3 years ago

We're moving from a house with separate kitchen, dining room and living room into a smaller new build with an open plan combined kitchen/dining/family room. It also has a separate snug.

I'd like advice on best way to furnish and decorate these spaces. I have to choose kitchen cabinet colours, floor colours, and paint colours next week! Here's a floor plan of the space and a VERY rough video of a walk through.

little thetford · More Info

Here's a photo from another house in the same development.

The floor plan for the kitchen/dining room/family room is slightly different & a little smaller - but gives an idea of the scale

The space needs:

• storage, storage, storage! - the kitchen is on the small side with limited storage, so I'd like to add as many cupboards/cabinets as possible.
  • an electric fireplace in at least one of the rooms. I have one in my lounge currently and love it. It has underfloor heating, so no need for radiators.
  • large collection of books - should these be in the open plan area or in the snug? I like the idea of a dining room library, but also like the idea of a book-lined, cozy snug.
  • cookbooks (a separate collection from the regular books) - in the open plan area near the kitchen
  • liquor/wine storage. Something like this would be great.

Eclectic Hall · More Info

• a small desk area in each space (ideally that can be folded or shut away when not working) Something like this

Concealed Desk Cupboard Workspace With Shelves · More Info

• a reasonable sized flatscreen tv in each room - not too big. But I hate tvs high on the wall above fireplaces.
  • dvds (in snug)
  • cds - on bookshelves currently, but can go into pullout drawers
  • is there room for a banquette/nook?
  • lighting. Above dining table, in sitting areas. Suggestions?
  • 2 bar stools for overhang at end of peninsula. I'd like a stool that swivels and has a back and armrests.

Furniture I already have that can be used in the space if possible:

• Hulsta sideboard (88.5" long x 18.5" deep, 29" tall) - light wood colour (birch). I'm wondering about using it as a tv stand?

Current House · More Info

• table 70" long x 32.25' wide - light wood colour (birch?)
  • six parsons chairs
  • Natuzzi sectional couch - it's huge 89' x 35" sofa plus with 71" x 35" right side return (106" x 89" total length when combined). Tan/camel colour. Is it too big for these spaces?
  • Would our curtains/pelmet work in the new space over the sliding doors? We have two sets of these in our current dining room french doors to the outdoors and our front living room.

Current House · More Info

Other notes:

• We are budgeting for built-ins and I've found a talented joiner who can build whatever we need.
  • As far as colours - I like grays, camel, rust, stone. Warm neutrals. I also like some teals, blue/grays, pinks, browns and greens. I like F&B Elephant's Breath but have never used it.
  • I want the ceiling to be something other than white. Suggestions?
  • I've always wanted to try seagrass wallpaper.
  • I like L-shaped sectionals, nooks, and prefer informal, relaxed, comfortable, cozy spaces. The house will be shared with my husband, our 10 month old Siberian Husky puppy and a cat.

I've attempted a draft layout as a starting point, but I don't know.

That's supposed to be a banquette between two cabinets. I was going for something like this, but I don't know if there is enough room.

Dart Studio | Roncesvalles Rowhouse · More Info

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.