isabel_walter51

How to make good damaged/marked limestone floor over ufh

Isabel Walter
last modified: 29 days ago

Hi, We’d really appreciate some help with what to do with our marked limestone floor.

Our house was built 8 years ago and we bought it when it was a year old. It has limestone tile flooring throughout the ground floor hallway, WC and large living-dining-kitchen area. To cut a long story short, I was very ill for the first few years we lived here and the house got a bit neglected. The limestone tiles are now marked in high traffic areas (e.g. between hallway and living room) and in the kitchen beside the hob and sink. We got them professionally cleaned and sealed a year ago but it didn’t get rid of the worst of the marks. The tiles are “tumbled” (I think) so their edges are very uneven and some of them haven’t been laid very flat. Plus I think the limestone is porous - it has many small pocks (and some nice shells ;) ) and some larger ones, one of which has fallen through so there’s a hole, and these gather dirt very efficiently. And in the WC they’re plain nasty and unhygienic (I’ll just say, pet (and other) urine...). Although we like them, ideally we’d replace them with something more practical, but they’re laid over a hot water underfloor heating system (embedded in the concrete floor) so that would be a huge hassle, risk and cost. Has anyone done this? Also, does anyone have any ideas for covering up the worst areas, especially in the WC? Tiles over tiles (is this possible with ufh?!), waterproof rugs, some kind of other waterproof flooring? Thank you so much!

Photos show marked area in kitchen and unaffected area - what they should look like! Any help really gratefully received :)