nikki_stevenson59

Newbie potentially looking for Kitchen Designer

Nikki Stevenson
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello all!

Firstly, I can't believe I've only very recently I've found this amazing website due to looking at some renovation ideas for a kitchen diner!

(Finances dependant) I'm hoping to completely re-do my kitchen diner in the new year, which involves knocking through two rooms into one larger space. It's quite a narrow space and not as wide as I would hope for, but nonetheless I want to create a Houzz-worthy, ultra modern space.

I know what style I like and what look I'm trying to achieve, but I am also aware that a dedicated designer could probably create those touches that I may not think of, or even create an overall layout that I may not have thought of. I have thought about going to your high-street kitchen designers but I would rather get an independent designer to create the space that 'I want' rather than what they want to sell me, before then having suppliers price up the vision.

Does anyone have experience with any independent designers, and was it helpful or would you have been just as well off going to a high-street designer?

To give an idea of the room, it is 8.5m (L) x 3.2m (W). It currently has a supporting wall splitting the room in half so will be removing this as part of the build with the relevant beam in place. It's actually a thick external was as the kitchen was an extension long before we purchased the house.

My rough vision is a charcoal/black/blue modern handleless kitchen running along one wall, with a long island in the middle (leaving the other wall bare to accommodate the island. Controversial with the narrow space but we've always wanted one and do not want to compromise on it). The island will hold a venting induction hob and seating. Towards the end of the room will be a dining table which will lead onto bi-fold doors out onto the garden. It will also mean blocking up the current back door which is on the side of the room. I really want to create that long flowing clean view to the garden upon entering the room.

Budget is up to around £25k although if I could spend a lot less that would be great, I just don't know what I'm looking at at the moment for the building work required. Kitchen will also need re-plumbing and re-wiring.

I've tried to attach some images from the property listing taken a few years ago to give an idea of what I'm working with (the dividing wall is to the left of the table in the first pic and to the right of the kitchen in the second pic). Hope you can help (sorry for waffling) and thanks in advance :)

Nick

Comments (10)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.