minnie101

Staircase dilemma

minnie101
3 years ago

Hi all, I’ve finally got a decorator booked to do my staircase and now can’t decide what to paint what ...Bedrooms will be carpeted but the main landing and stairs will be painted. Walls are elephants breath which won’t change (Budget/practical reasons). I wanted to do the stairs in a bitter chocolate although yet to find the perfect colour (front door faces south so north facing window on landing).. As you can see sadly the stairs have been altered a lot over the years. In an ideal world I’d change the first platform back to how it should be however I don’t want to change the floor so want to detract from that as much as possible..

I’m trying to minimise costs as we may move however if we stay I will later add a runner. Do I paint a runner now (dirty pink)? Or paint a stripe above the skirting to lead the eye away from that platform? What colour to do skirting, panelling etc?

Any ideas as I’m going back and forth? Whilst I like all “black” stairs and panelling, mine are quite wide and the skirting Is really high so not sure if it would be too much.

Any ideas welcome 🙏

PS for those with painted stairs, have you used floor paint on the treads and eggshell elsewhere?

Comments (25)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.