winniewytang

Ceilings in new house contain white asbestos - best course of actions?

W T
3 years ago

Hi,

We just received the asbestos report back on a property we're planning to purchase.

Two rooms with Artex ceilings (out of four) tested positive for white asbestos, chrysotile. The recommendations were to manage by "regular visual inspections and not drilling or cutting into the material". It's classified as low risk.

I'd like to redecorate as I absolutely dislike the look of it. Unfortunately, I didn't know at the time of viewing that these type of ceilings can contain Asbestos. So now it's not just about the aesthetics. Also, I can imagine that it might become an issue if we were looking to sell further down the line.

Removal would cost about £1000 plus VAT. Adding to that, the cost of reinstating a new ceiling in those two rooms. How much does it cost to redo ceilings? (21m2)

Are there other, more cost-effective alternative to dealing with this? I read about skimming, overboarding etc. etc.

Have you come across this issue yourself and how did you deal with it?

Thanks for your thoughts and advice!

Comments (8)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.