webuser_578295075

1930s semi-detached single storey extension layout advice please

HU-578295075
3 years ago

Hi,

I've only just discovered that Houzz has these discussion forums! I've look through quite a few posts and have seen some great ideas and advice.

I'm hoping for some ideas related to my proposed extension.

The first image shows the proposed plans. There are some changes we are going to make, for example we've decided not to have an external door in to the utility area as it's not a necessity and gives us more space in there. The stud wall which will seperate the downstairs loo and utility can also be shifted across slightly. We are also considering having doors from the lounge to the kitchen-diner, although this depends where the kitchen goes.

My sketch is one rough idea. Although a variant of this would be to put the sink along the wall with the other units in one run, allowing us to have doors that stretch right across (the best view of the garden is on that side, the other side is obstructed by the garage which sits part way up the garden). The dining table would also probably end up near the bifolds (rather than the sofa which is currently on the sketch).

We've looked at putting the kitchen on the left hand side but the space doesn't seem big enough (even if we move the utility entrance door to the stud wall leading in to the area marked 'dining room'). Also, doing this just leaves a big open space at the other end.

The other alternative is to put the kitchen at the back in an L-shape and forget about the double doors in to the lounge.

What I don't want is for the space marked as the dining room on the plans, to become just a walk through space. I want to join them both together somehow (so the units down one side and the island is one idea of trying to acheive this).

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks.

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.