Kitchen island help much appreciated!

Naomi P

Hi everyone,

Delighted to have found this community on here. I am renovating the kitchen in our new home and although I've had some help and advice I'm finding it all quite overwhelming and struggling to get it exactly right. Would love some advice!

We're going with a Howdens kitchen, which needs to double up as the dining area too.. Fortunately we can put the washer and dryer in the utility room next door so don't need to make room for that.

I'm attaching the early designs sent by Howdens according to the layout I asked for. The kitchen is a good size but not massive (15' x 12'8) and I have had my heart set on fitting in a small island. I'm attaching the latest plans for the kitchen - we're getting nearer, but as I'm not that experienced I'm just concerned about space. Does this island look stupidly small? We've asked for it to be that size so that if we ever needed to fit more round the kitchen table we could squeeze in 8 with enough room. I keep reading that the minimum size for an island is 1m x 1m and this I think is a bit smaller than that.

Also just FYI we're going to put in two little banquettes in the bottom left corner to maximise space round the table, so that table design isn't quite accurate, just something the Howdens desgner has put in.

Thanks so much in advance for any help / tips! (We're currently a family of 2 if that helps visualise how much space we actually need, although we've moved here with the intention of starting a family in this house)