webuser_222314916

Kitchen island help much appreciated!

Naomi P
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Delighted to have found this community on here. I am renovating the kitchen in our new home and although I've had some help and advice I'm finding it all quite overwhelming and struggling to get it exactly right. Would love some advice!

We're going with a Howdens kitchen, which needs to double up as the dining area too.. Fortunately we can put the washer and dryer in the utility room next door so don't need to make room for that.

I'm attaching the early designs sent by Howdens according to the layout I asked for. The kitchen is a good size but not massive (15' x 12'8) and I have had my heart set on fitting in a small island. I'm attaching the latest plans for the kitchen - we're getting nearer, but as I'm not that experienced I'm just concerned about space. Does this island look stupidly small? We've asked for it to be that size so that if we ever needed to fit more round the kitchen table we could squeeze in 8 with enough room. I keep reading that the minimum size for an island is 1m x 1m and this I think is a bit smaller than that.

Also just FYI we're going to put in two little banquettes in the bottom left corner to maximise space round the table, so that table design isn't quite accurate, just something the Howdens desgner has put in.

Thanks so much in advance for any help / tips! (We're currently a family of 2 if that helps visualise how much space we actually need, although we've moved here with the intention of starting a family in this house)

Comments (26)

• Ellie
    3 years ago

What size is the island, you say you think it is smaller than 1m x 1m.....

Naomi P thanked Ellie
  • minnie101
    3 years ago

The island does seem out of proportion and I’m not sure the room is big enough with a table but not an expert 😢

just personal opinion but I would have an integrated FF next to the ovens. I assume that’s a larder so would use part of the dresser for that. I don’t think there’s room to stack washing up by the hob so I’d swap the sink and DW. I might also consider an induction hob for a cleaner look. I’d just have a base unit where the Ff is but consider adding shelves above to balance out the wall units.

if it’s in budget you could use the units for the banquette, I like this DeVOL one where they’ve joined it to the dresser

The Loft Shaker Kitchen by deVOL · More Info

Naomi P thanked minnie101
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen island design help

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi John, I think it's a clever solution you have come up with to allow the play/toy area you wish to be including within the space. As has been mentioned above, I would agree that the bar is on the wrong side as you'd be looking back into the room, away from the view... that said, if you were to open up the downstairs then this could be debatable. Looking at your the second picture you attached, have you considered a t-shape setup... losing the bar area all together? Having two seating areas next to each other won't be your best use of space. You could have a larger/longer island (more storage, front and back) with a decent table coming off adjacent, centralised to the island. Regards, SA Designs
    ...See More

Help appreciated with designing a utility cupboard

Q

Comments (9)
    Thanks for all your really helpful replies guys. It looks like the washing machine will find its way into next door’s ‘Garage’/ covered patio where it will be boxed in as you suggested Jules. You’re right this is quite a common in these parts of the planet. I also think something like a bespoke cupboard/cabinet would then be a good option including the Louvre doors on rails as Jonathan suggested. Blocking the window and loosing a fair bit of space is probably too big a sacrifice. Oh and yes, possibly move the fridge to the wall with the window where a fridge always used to be located before the renovation. I will sadly have to swop this little hot paradise for the cold UK again very shortly (well, I’m actually quite looking forward to going home) but will keep you posted on developments as and when. Not it in the least what will happen to our little family of birds in the ‘garage’. :) Had anyone noticed the nest?
    ...See More

design help would really appreciate it

Q

Comments (4)
    Am assuming you don't use the garage to park a car in, but still need garage space for storing bikes and stuff - so keep the front half of the garage as bike/storage space and then incorporate the back of the garage into the house and knock through from the kitchen. move the toilet into the middle of the house and also create a utility room there. That leaves the whole of the back of the house for kitchen/dining and leaves the Family Room as a snug/family room and the Lounge as proper front room (one of these rooms could also be a kids playroom, depending on ages of kids and how much separation they need). Glass doors can be added to the Family Room to separate it more but still be visible and let light into it.
    ...See More

kitchen island plug socket help

Q

Comments (4)
    I have the equivalent of the sensiopod in my island. Couldn’t manage without it. I keep it down when not in use. When it’s down (retracted) you can’t access the power points because there’s not enough space for the plug to be left in the item when it’s pushed down out of sight (if that makes sense). If there was enough space then yes you could leave the plug in and it would still work.
    ...See More
  • Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for replying.

I think this island they've sent me is 80 across and 60 deep, but they won't send me over the measurements until I pay my deposit. I've asked the designer to confirm the size of the island so hopefully they will, but yes I think it is too small as is.

I've seen small square kitchen islands that do work, or narrower slimmer islands that are a little longer but I suspect this is the worst of both worlds currently. Here was the original design which had a lip overhang but this felt too messy. Although maybe if this was moved further towards the oven so it comes in line with the larder. Or maybe a freestanding island might have to be the answer, although it does mean we lose some storage.

Minnie101 that's a great idea about the units for the banquette! And thanks for your other ideas, I wasn't sure whether fridge/ freezer next to the ovens was a good idea! I'm definitely considering integrated but also have a Smeg fridge freezer in mind too.

• Ellie
    3 years ago

So your kitchen is 3.8m wide, I think it can take an island with stools........ 60 unit, 90 gap, 90 cm island, 90 gap for seating at island + shallow depth unit on opposite wall.......

I haven't looked at the length but width ways it looks like it can take a deeper than island.

Do you need the dresser type unit that is opposite the island - that will be whats going to get in the way of your table being brought out and extended for larger gatherings....

Naomi P thanked Ellie
  • Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, that makes sense, I'm going to go through the measurements with a fine tooth comb today!

We'd actually planned on changing the position of the table so if it ever needed to extend it would go the other way towards the back door and fridge (it will be so rare that we'd ever need to do it that it wouldn't matter if it blocked the door for that purpose).

So the slim glass cabinets aren't a deal breaker by any means (there for all important storage!) but they wouldn't get in the way of the table.

I think you're right about the island space, we should be able to fit it in, I just want to make sure I'm not fitting it in to the point where it looks silly.

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Your table would be better the other way, it does take less space too....

Naomi P thanked Ellie
  • minipie
    3 years ago

Hello, how much of this design can be moved - what are the fixed elements? For example can the back door be moved, can the kitchen doors be changed, is the chimneybreast above the hob immovable?

I can see several issues with this design aside from the island size

1 - you won’t be able to open the fridge properly as it needs to have a gap or other cabinet to the hinge side so you can open the door more than 90 degrees (or else you can’t pull drawers out)

2 - the island seems too far away from the wall units behind it - do you know what that distance is? Ideal is about 105cm IMO, if it’s much bigger you start having to take more steps.

3 - The double doors to the kitchen might be a pain unless you are going to keep them open 99% of the time

If you can move any of the doors and /or change double doors to single and if the island can move closer to the wall run then that buys you more space to play with

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Isn’t the 3.8 measurement from the oven wall to the dresser wall? Therefore with a longer/deeper island would give a max space of 1.25m for both the table and walkway?

or am I having a funny 5 minutes?!

• Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Ellie,

Re the table do you mean it is preferable the way the Howdens designer has designed it or the other way I suggested? I took it to mean you were agreeing with me but I have just realised you might have meant it the other way! Thanks either way!

• Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Minnie101, no don't worry you're not having a funny moment! (I think I am having a funny week / year!) Yes the 3.8 measurement is from the oven wall to the dresser / radiator wall. So I think that allows the following:

60cm oven unit

90cm gap

90cm island

1.4m gap to the wall (with or without dresser)

The reason we're not making the island much longer towards the door is that it would encroach on table space. This was the original design where the island was much bigger and you would never be able to seat anyone else round the table:

• minnie101
    3 years ago

😂 I think a FF is fine next to an oven nowadays btw. I did a great mock up 😂

justwondering if the back door could be moved, could you have a peninsular there and then have a table where the dresser is? If it’s just a 4ft extendable table it might work (I’ve run out of paper to try it!)

Naomi P thanked minnie101
  • Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Minipie, thanks for your reply.

Sadly the doors aren't moveable (at least not within our budget, as we're renovating a few other rooms in the house too!

At the moment the chimney breast is solid, and the units stick out even further, but we're planning to hollow it out and set the hob and fan into it to get maximum space.

You make a very good point about the fridge - I looked into it and since it is much deeper than the cabinets so comes out further, I think the doors will be able to open as long as whatever is next to it doesn't encroach too far.

I don't have the measurements for the gap between the oven and island according to that design It does seem quite far away, but I definitely need to look into that as a 90cm gap between the hob and island would be all we needed.

• Ellie
    3 years ago

Can I just say I think thats a very poor design from Howdens, they have got loads of things wrong here.

I would be tempted to say go somewhere else. and get better advice, what they have shown here is pretty poor, considering they are supposed to be kitchen experts

The fact that you don't know the measurements or width of gaps as well tells me you need to do a bit of your own research into what gaps they should be.

I would get paper out and start from scratch and put in accurate diagrams.

• minnie101
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If moving doors isn’t in budget maybe you’d be better off with just a long table in the middle? My (very old) kitchen has similar dimensions and layout. I’ve got a c7ft dresser on your dresser wall, mine is c2ft deep on the base and 1ft above. Just thinking you could move the wine cooler to within the dresser and then have a bin by your sink?

• Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yep, thanks all, I think it might be time for a rethink! Perhaps the island might not work and a table would in fact be best. I do have my own measurements but it’s frustrating not being sent the howdens measurements until they have a deposit from you as it makes the collaborative design process slightly trickier! Appreciate all the advice!

• Juliet Docherty
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

it's probably too late but DIY kitchens have a good reputation and from what I can gather their worktops work out to be really amazing value. You need your own design, then you order what you want. I also think that a gorgeous table in the middle might just be a more visually pleasing solution.

• minnie101
    3 years ago

Lots of people on here use DIY kitchens. Karen at OnePlan (also on houzz) does a lot of designs for people using diy kitchens. She’s a concept planner whom works remotely so you just supply the measurements and wish list

• minipie
    3 years ago

Hi Naomi, the problem with the fridge is on the left hand side (assuming you want the hinges on that side). So it’s the wall to the left of the fridge that causes the issue with opening the door, not the base cabinets. If you want the fridge in that position you will need to put a filler panel of 20cm or so, or a pull out tall unit of 30cm, to the left of the fridge to allow you to open the fridge door fully. Neither of these solutions is ideal, so personally I would relocate the fridge next to the ovens - modern appliances are well insulated so this should be fine (we have our fridge next to oven stack).

If you have the fridge with hinges on the right then there isn’t this issue, but that’s going to be very annoying day to day.

As regards the walkways, definitely worth checking what this plan shows as the gap looks bigger than 90cm to me - but maybe I am being optimistic! Howdens may not be willing to give you the full measurements but they should be happy to confirm the dimension of the walkway, as it affects whether the whole thing works or not....

• minipie
    3 years ago

One further thought, what about turning the island around as the room is longer that way? Something like this. - although I have not got the dimensions quite right probably, the island and table would need to be further towards the dresser, but you get the general idea! In this layout the island is a little less useful because it’s not parallel with the main run, but on the other hand it makes better use of the room space IMO.

• Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Really like this idea, thanks! Another thought I had was to scrap the integrated oven and have a cooker in the chimney breast. Then base units and shelves or high cupboards along the wall to the double doors, but a peninsula coming out from the wall parallel to the cooker instead of an island.

Thank you for all these tips! You’ve definitely made me reassess!

• Jonathan
    3 years ago

Just to add to the discussion- I think you might find that hollowing out the chimney leaves you with bigger piers than you are showing on the drawing which will intrude into the cabinet space and the safety space each side of the hob. Removing the chimney will likely be a similar price to reconfiguring it.

Naomi P thanked Jonathan
  • Jonathan
    3 years ago

Swapping the garden door and the window might not be as expensive as you think and would give you additional layout options

Naomi P thanked Jonathan
  • pjdklm
    3 years ago

A couple of thoughts on the design that may help you replan......

1. There seems to be very little counter space between your hob and sink, once you set dirty dishes on one side and clean on the other, where will you prep? Perhaps you could put the hob in your island? Or move it or the sink to the other wall?
    2. It’s worth considering a change from your wall oven to fitting one (or two) under the counter one. You’ll get back the worktop space, and thus could easily move your fridge next to the pantry. We opted for two full size Neff slide and hide door ovens under our counters , one regular oven, one steam oven, with our hob directly above them and it’s one of the best decisions I made. I have the ergonomic and space benefits of a range cooker, but superior capacity and functionality for my needs.
    3. An induction hob not only looks sleeker, but effectively gains you work space too. You can stick a cookbook / chopping board/ etc directly next to your pot while cooking and it will be fine.
    4. Karen from One Plan is terrific and will draw you a proper well thought out plan. Alternatively a virtual planning appointment with Ikea will also result in a plan, and unlike Howdens, an actual price, too. Both companies work in standard cm dimensions....a 40cm wide cabinet is a 40cm cabinet is a 40cm cabinet. (One difference is depth and height.... Ikea units are a little bit deeper, and a little bit taller, so they have a little bit more capacity).

Hope that helps.

Naomi P thanked pjdklm
  • PRO
    Eulinea Ltd
    3 years ago

Hi Naomi,

As if you didn't have enough comments, here are my points:

1) Agreed with everyone above re:Kitchen design, it's far from being acceptable...

2) Have you considered having a U shaped kitchen instead of an island? You could achieve this by having a return worktop on the left hand side of your gas hob (much better to have induction as many people already mentioned), and your sink could be on this breakfast bar, with stools facing the kitchen (backing on to the garden). Thus you will have the whole length of the remainder of the room to position your table and chairs. This layout will also flow well with your proposed ceiling, I see the idea is to have some flat ceiling and some sloping.

Irina

Naomi P thanked Eulinea Ltd
  • Naomi P
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just want to say thank you for all your advice and tips - in a dream world I'd be able to incorporate them all, but as we are moving into a new home with an existing kitchen the shell of it has to stay the same due to our budget (we can't move doors or extend, and we can't swap doors around as the window looks out onto an alleyway).

You have all really made me reconsider the layout in terms of ovens, fridge etc. And I've given up on the island and trying a U-shape peninsula as you can see from the photo. We still have a way to go with the design (the cabinets next to the radiator will go, and the sink may move and the cooker may change, plus the chimney piers may end up altering things ) but I do think this is an improvement!

I would personally love an induction hob and we had one at our old place, but my fiance much prefers gas hobs for cooking in terms of getting the heat accuracy you want, and since he does most of the cooking I let him pick it, but I might re-open that discussion.

Thank you for the recommendation of Karen from one plan as well!

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.