gareth_jones84

Opinions on different heating systems

Gareth Jones
3 years ago

Hi,

I'm currently buying a 3bedroom 1970s property that has had a single owner and effectively no modern work done to it since being built other than some shoddy extensions.

Currently the property has no central heating, 2 old (1970s) storage heaters, and a small gas fire

As it's in need of major modernizing we are effectively doing a full renovation (limited slightly by the use of asbestos throughout and disruption/costs in removing) and are currently looking at our options for heating. We aren't bothered too much about current running costs - looking more towards 10 year salability and running costs in 10 years, which isn't an exact science given we don't really know which way gas/hydrogen networks are going to go or use of renewables and nuclear/energy crisis

As it's got a gas fire it does have a mains gas connection, however this is a single 15mm copper pipe from gas meter to gas fire.

So our options are as follows:

Gas CH(Combi Boiler) - This would require a boiler installed, with new gas pipe from meter to boiler as existing wouldn't meet building regs. Radiators installed throughout property and plumbing for that installed. Removal of existing hot water tank and cold water tank from loft(Asbestos product and no Asbestos disposal in our area so would need to be removed by an asbestos company)

Gas CH(Boiler + Tank) - Same as above, except existing tank would likely be replaced with an unvented tank - cold water still removed,

Air Source Heat Pump - Require altering part of garage to a plant room (Garage is too small to be useful anyway). new Unvented Water tank in plant room, removal of old tanks. 2x manifolds(one downstairs, one upstairs) for heating supply, retrofit wet underfloor heating downstairs + skirting heating upstairs, and altering the existing hot water distribution to go to new tank location.

Electric Underfloor heating downstairs + Electric Skirting heating upstairs - Simple installation, we will insulating and increasing floor height downstairs anyway to seal existing asbestos floor tiles, and skirting heating as an easy install. Not sure if this would provide enough heat.

Electric Radiator heating(modern storage heaters/stone core) - Simple installation of heaters.

The existing hot water tank will likely be replaced regardless of choice to an unvented system.

Assuming we can get the air tightness up we will also be adding mechanical heat recovery ventilation through the property.

If anyone has any experience with the different methods would be great to hear - either from a running cost and installation cost perspective or just a general installation or usage perspective.

Please refrain from answers of "Gas CH because that's how it's always been done", sometimes change can be good.

Combi Boiler
Boiler + Tank
Electric Radiators
ASHP
Electric Underfloor + Skirting

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.