Buying house with public sewer manhole to rear - extension issue?

Rowan Case

Hello,

We're in the process of buying a house and our solicitors searches have revealed there's a public sewer manhole (Thames Water) in the rear garden. This wouldn't be too much of a concern, but we would like to add a single storey rear extension that would come within 3m of the manhole (it wouldn't build over it, but would probably come within a meter of it). It's currently concealed by a manhole cover tray in the existing brick patio.

Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation and any recommendations on how best to progress?

Is there anything we can do to ensure an extension is possible before purchasing the property?

Many thanks,

Rowan