stacey_smithbeaman

Optimise existing footprint to achieve dream configuration!

Cut a long (and painful!) house buying story short, we have purchased a 1980s 4 bed detached property that is original throughout, so EVERYTHING needs updating. The square footage is great, but the existing footprint doesn't offer what we need, which is basically:

• decent sized sitting room
  • study
  • cloakroom
  • utility room
  • open plan kitchen / diner / casual seating

Painting a wall is the extent of our building knowledge so we are genuinely completely clueless to this and are spending hours swotting up online. So we would really appreciate it anyone had any ideas? I have put some pictures to help bring it to life.

My current thinking is the take c2m off the living room and open the entire width of the back of the ground floor up - am I mad?! This would mean making the very dated conservatory work, ideally I would like to change the conservatory into an extension but we have c£80k in the pot for the whole house... The floorplan reflects this option (yellow lines show new walls / red lines show removed walls).

One final plea - other than brilliant hive minds on the internet, who would we approach for this in the real world? Seems a bit basic to get an architect for (plus they are ££), would a builder give a view on it?!

Thank you!

Not sure how clear uploads are, measurements are:

• Conservatory - 2.8 x 4.3
  • Living room - 7.2 x 3.6
  • Dining room - 3.0 x 2.9
  • Kitchen - 4.1 x 2.6
  • Breakfast room - 2.6 x 2.5
  • Utility room - 2.1 x 2.0

Comments (3)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.