sarah_unwinsuter

Curtain Width Advice Please

Sarah U-S
3 years ago

Hi all, I have a bay window with a made to measure curtain pole. The pole is secured to the wall at either end and also in the middle - so it can have two curtains. The length of the pole from finial to finial is 3m.

At the moment, I have 4 long IKEA charcoal velvet eyelet curtains. They are 145cm wide each. I have two on either end and then two in the corners. They are fine - but the decorator is painting tomorrow, and I now want a softer, more grown up feel, and am looking at getting pencil pleats instead, in a woven linen effect.

My question is what width? The length is about 265cm, so made to measure is too expensive at the mo, so looking at ready made from either John Lewis or Dunelm in their extra long 274cm length. (IKEA is no longer an option as they changed their lengths to 250cm, so now too short). Google is telling me that I should go for anything from 1.5 times the width, up to 2.5 times. This is quite a difference! The Dunelm ones come in at 168cm wide per curtain or 228cm per curtain. I’m thinking that if I went for the 168cm ones, I’d need two pairs, or 4 curtains - but they would be very, very full. If I go for the 228cm per curtain, I think I could get away with one pair - but they wouldn’t be very full at all!! Any advice as to which would work best? Many thanks! (Please don’t suggest shutters or blinds - neither is possible at the mo due to cost).

The photos - first is what we currently have. Then the two curtains that I’m considering from Dunelm. (John Lewis has a couple that are very similar, but seem to be out of stock in the longer lengths).

Comments (14)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.