webuser_636389795

Move master bedroom or not ?

Lawrence Meakins
3 years ago

Hi, we are just finalizing plans for extension and architect has suggested something that has put me in a bit of a dilemma. We are replacing an old conservatory with a two storey extension where the room above the conservatory will create a 4th bedroom. I always envisaged this either being a guest room or a room my son could move into as it would be bigger than his current room. We already have a nice master with an en suite bathroom but the addition of the 4th bedroom gets rid of the window that overlooks rear garden but does leave us with one over looking the front.

The architect has suggested us moving into the new bedroom and having door and juliet balcony that overlooks the garden (south west facing which does also have views of lots of other houses). This would mean also adding a new ensuite bathroom in the new master and also a big RSJ across the back to support new large opening. We have estimated the additional cost over original idea of just a box square room on £15,000 - £17,000. The architect says will be amazing room and can see that laying in bed overlooking the garden through the doors would be lovely but a hefty price to pay. We do intend to stay in the house for forseeable future and wandered what peoples thoughts were.

The existing master is bottom right on the picture with window to front of house. The architect proposed new master is on the left where the glazing is doors with juliet balcony. This would mean 3 bathrooms upstairs each with a shower, which seems a bit excessive but can see would be a nice new master with vaulted ceiling as well, In latest plans we are also going out a bit further and might swing bed 90 degrees as a bit tight on the wall where it is in diagram.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.