Ficus Benjamin’s dropping its leaves :(

I’d be really grateful if there’s anyone that can help me with some advice as to why my Ficus Benjamin’s has suddenly started losing all its leaves!

We’re based in the UK and have just moved into winter having had a cold autumn.

It happened just as the temperatures dropped. I haven’t moved the plant and it remains next to my patio doors (with blinds) where it gets indirect light all day.

It was doing so well and had full beautiful green leaves but it’s suddenly dropping leaves fast and as you can see from the photos it’s losing a lot of leaves all at once.

I repotted last year into a bigger pot as the roots were overflowing in the smaller pot. But it hasn’t really taken in the new soil and if the stem is touched, you can see where the old soil moves in one complete mass so I’m assuming there’s little new root growth.

I saved this little plant when I bought it in a very sorry state in IKEA 2 years ago and it’s been doing so well. I’m not sure what’s happened for it to suddenly start shedding but I’d appreciate any advice anyone has!

Comment (1)

• Sonia

Overwatering may be the issue. During winter only water lightly and check soil is really dry before you do. I’ve taken a couple of photos from my houseplant book which may help?