james_gill56

Swap kitchen and bathroom around - tear wall down

James Gill
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi folks,

We want to swap the bathroom and the kitchen around and are seeking some advice.

I live in a top floor 2bdrm maisonette in London. Both the kitchen and the bathroom are relatively pokey, and we want to swap the bathroom and kitchen and remove the wall so that the living room is open plan with the kitchen. The thinking is that when you walk up the stairs you would be in the living room / kitchen (no wall). The bathroom would be where you see the kitchen (see below).

The benefit is that the bathroom gets a window and is less pokey.

The kitchen gets a lot more bench space and less pokey. At the moment the fridge is in the landing space outside the kitchen, so that could enter the kitchen fold! Also much better for entertaining.

Currently:

After:

The bathroom used to be where the kitchen is now and I know the waste pipe actually comes from the area (behind the cupboards in the kitchen area) so I don't think that should be too much of an issue).

I'd look to get an island in the kitchen area and knock down the walls so when you walk up the stairs you are immediately in the living room / kitchen area.

Living Room:

Bathroom:

Kitchen:

So my questions are:

1) How much do you think the entire thing would cost to get a builder to do? (Would look to get ikea kitchen, bathroom stuff etc)

2) Roughly how long would it take

2) How do you go about getting quotes (for cost is it best to approach independent builders) vs a company which maybe premium but more reliablity etc

3) Any major stumbling blocks or things to think of?

4) Do you see any issues with knocking the walls out?

I'm co-freeholder of the place with the person below as well.

Comments (2)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.