samuel_cutler

Not sure how best to extend property to add a larger dining area

Samuel Cutler
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I’m looking to create a larger dining area for the kitchen as the current area is quite small (and add a utility potentially) but I’m unsure on the best way of doing that - whether that should be a brick conservatory, extension Or convert the garage somehow.

The added complication with extending outside or adding conservatory is the height of the garage (shielding the current patio from sunlight in the evenings as the garden is north west facing) so I’m not sure if extending out for the diner is the best option as I’m not sure how to make sure it’ll get enough light with glazing (especially with the extension glazing restrictions). I’ve included images of the kitchen/garage aspects.

The floor plan I’ve provided below isn’t quite correct re the garage as the garage is further back (see second photo of a plan I put together).

The front of the garage currently houses the washing machine etc so could potentially be converted into a utility off the main kitchen. Could converting the garage into dining area with skylights (to avoid the garage shadowing of dining areas in any extension) be the best option? Though the garage is quite narrow. That would mean the utility would need to go elsewhere too.

Looking for any help/ideas on the best thing to do! Thank you everyone in advance for your help. Really struggling with so many concepts/ideas!

Comments (4)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.