webuser_7270816359

Floorplan help on site with significant limitations!

FM Lorenzo
3 years ago

Hi there, hoping I might be able to get some advice on the best way to extend/reconfigure our new home. It is a 1970s 3 bed detached which we were initially hoping to put a side extension on. However, there is a 15inch water main running down the side of the house which means we can’t do this! There is a 5m easement on either side of the pipe so our options are to extend out the front or back (but not full width).

Picture one is the current layout. The garage to the left has been converted and is currently a utility room. The kitchen is to the front (the front door goes straight into it) with living/diner out the back.

We have two five years olds and would like to end up with a decent sized utility, downstairs WC, kitchen diner and living room. Picture two is my current idea. It keeps the utility in the same space (plumbing and soil stack is here) but also creating a WC here. We add in a wall so that the current kitchen becomes a (very) snug/TV room. The kitchen is then moved to the rear of the house with a 4x4m extension to create a seating area. We can’t go any bigger than that because of said pipe...

Would be great to get some thoughts on this as I feel like I just can’t look at it objectively at this point! My current worry is that the TV room is just too small... We are budget conscious so don’t want to tear down every internal wall but would rather try and work with what is there as much as possible.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Current layout
Proposed layout

Comments (7)

United Kingdom
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.